Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you feel about working for a lawyer?

I had a homeowner call me several weeks ago. He said he had some minor leakage from ice dams. He wanted me to contact him after the snow was gone to come out and take a look at it.

I told him I would come out and inspect it for a fee, which he agreed to.

In the course of the conversation he mentioned he was an attorney.

Based on the age of the roof I figured he might need a new roof but I don’t know if I want to follow up on it.

I’ve heard a few stories about lawyers that don’t pay for the job because they know they intimidate you or run up your legal bills.

Do you feel it something to be concerned about?

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
I've had good and bad experiences with lawyers, it's the doctors that I think I have had a 98% customer service failure rate. We did a 70 square shingle job for a lawyer. We agreed he'd pay the downpayment when we started. LOL when my guys showed up he tried handing them $8k cash. He was pissed that I made him write a check. other than that everything went super smooth. I even got some real cuban cigars out of the deal :)

Definetly meet him and decide than at the face to face. Unless he's already dropped a ton of red flags.

In regards to Outlaw's asking for payment upfront we did a job for someone once, not a lawyer, and it was a mess of a job because he wa such a pain to work for. Even though we had all those problems he still wanted us to do another job for him. I forget all the details now, but I was an employee at the time. Me and my boss got a hell of a chuckle out of my 2nd proposal. I worked it up just like I normally would then asked for 110% down payment. LOL He never called back, I wonder why. I get a kick out of doing stuff like that. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have done work for a couple of lawyers in the past and have had no trouble at all.One called me out of the yellow pages, wanting a inspection and a few shingles replaced. Did so and the following year he asked for a price to reroof is house.
He stated that he didn't mind paying a fair price he just wanted a high quality roof with no surprises.
I delivered the detailed estimate a few days later and we went through the estimate detail by detail.Afterwards he shook my hand, told me he was impressed with my presentation and asked me to start the job at the earliest opportunity.
I ended up doing 3 other houses on that street and possibly another one this spring.
Another lawyer I do work for has small residential and commercial rental properties and I service them from time to time. Have no problems at all with payment.

·
Slate and Metal Roofer
435 Posts
:thumbup: I have several that call for work on a semi-annual basis. Only trouble I ever had is that NONE have ever signed a contract.
I get a call, give a ballpark and get a " Go ahead, do it, and send me a bill. This all by phone and occasionally e-mail.
I used to worry about it, now I just go and do it, and send the bill. ( Often without even the ballpark.):whistling:

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
For repair work I will often waive the signature for repat customers. If i think it's going to be a large repair I'll definetly submit an estimate first.

On a side note, Tinner. We've been cleaning gutters on a house with slate for the last 3 years or so. Today my guys were out and observed alot of cracked or broken slates. The house is only about 5 or so years old. My first thoguht is the massive freeze thaw we had this winter killed the slates. They're probably cheap indian or chinese slates anyways. Any thoughts on this matter?

·
Registered
755 Posts
For repair work I will often waive the signature for repat customers. If i think it's going to be a large repair I'll definetly submit an estimate first.

On a side note, Tinner. We've been cleaning gutters on a house with slate for the last 3 years or so. Today my guys were out and observed alot of cracked or broken slates. The house is only about 5 or so years old. My first thoguht is the massive freeze thaw we had this winter killed the slates. They're probably cheap indian or chinese slates anyways. Any thoughts on this matter?
Not Tinner, but it also could be that they were nailed down too tight.

Slates are more along the lines of being nailed in just enough to be hung, not clamped down.

Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
" I get a call, give a ballpark and get a " Go ahead, do it, and send me a bill. This all by phone and occasionally e-mail.
I used to worry about it, now I just go and do it, and send the bill. ( Often without even the ballpark."

This is how much of my work is conducted with repeat customers, been using email much more in the past couple of years and quite often attach pictures etc to better explain certain situations.
I have a few clients that Ive been performing service work at their locations for 3 years or more that I have never actually seen face to face.
Ive been referred to them from other clients and it's been all telephone email conversations.

·
Slate and Metal Roofer
435 Posts
"I have a few clients that Ive been performing service work at their locations for 3 years or more that I have never actually seen face to face.
Ive been referred to them from other clients and it's been all telephone email conversations." Me too. Never met some of my clients.

·
Registered
89 Posts
One Attorney one time. Wrote it up and slid it across the table. Why all the worries? I believe I asked if there were any flaws or if I should cover myself any better. The reaction I got was "A napkin for a dollar amount is a contract! Say what you do and do what you say and you will be fine". Actually he has referred me quite a bit of work. Part of Networking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts