Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had high winds on February 12th, and I was swamped with calls, mostly a couple shingles blown off. We kept the repair cost under the cost of their insurance deductable, for a reason, either have us repair it now, or don't be wasting my time. Main concern of mine was to keep our company name good, not to cater to people trying to get an insurance check. A lot of the people thought they would get an entire new roof, for a few missing shingles, I asked them if they put a dent in their fender, do you think the insurance company is going to buy you a new car, or pay to repair the fender? That was the only way most of them could understand , and it eliminated the people who really did not care about their roof being repaired, but who really thought they would get a big check from insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I couldnt disagree with your approach more.

My first question is what is the age of the roofs that you are repairing? If the roof has reached a stage where you cant repair one shingle without damaging another then people with just a few missing SHOULD have their roofs replaced.

It seems from your post that you are trying to talk people out of having their adjuster make an assessment of the roof so that you can get a quick check from a quick repair. IMHO that makes you worse than the "stormers" trying to get marginal damage bought off by insurance companies.

In my experience down here in houston I have met with over 40 adjusters in the past 3 months on roofs that myself and my sales team have signed up and only had 2 denied for full replacement. The damaged ranged from a few missing shingles to completely destroyed.

The homeowner has a right to have their home restored to the condition it was in before the storm. If a repair damages the roof further then how can you say that you are doing what is right by your customer?

Comparing a dent in a bumper to shingles missing on a roof is like apples to oranges.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just think he needs more training on how to sell what needs to be sold.

At first glance, it may seem like a favor to the customer, just to keep things on the cheaper side, but as pointed out, what about the next storm, which may damage the already aged roof?

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts