Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently we are not "on board" with O.C., C.T, or G.A.F. I'm thinking about "partnering" with one of the above companies contractor programs. Anyone have any input on this. My two primary competitors are master elite GAF, one semi-competitor is O.C. We do about 750 K annual sales. I'm leaning against GAF for the above stated reason. What would you gentleman do?

My market is semi-rural, 75K population over a forty mile radius. Average ticket is 30 to 40 squares, almost entirely residential. Thanks,

JamesFl

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
Why partner with just one? I'm not a fan of OC shingles but hell if I get just one job by being listed on their website... I should go fill out the app today.

I prefer CertainTeed. We were formerly certified by GAF at the last company I worked with. I found it much more convenient to do business with Certainteed, and still do. The best part is there are no minimum quantity requirements, like with GAF.

·
Residential Roofer
227 Posts
I laugh when home owners tell me the last roofer was a certified Gaf/Elk, OC, Certainteed, etc., contractor and explain to them how they became one.

Gaf/Elk = you sale x amount of our materials, we'll tell people your a good contractor.

OC/CT = you take a test 'we'll give you the answers first' and we'll tell people your a good contractor.

Back when I was thinking about getting certified 'for advertising purposes'
I had my daughter, who was 18 at the time and had/has never been on a roof, take the test for me and she got a 73% the first time and a 82% the second, the second being good enough to get me certified at both OC and CT.

I have the logo's of 5 manufacturers on my website showing I commonly use them all, and I carry sample pacs from each of them on my estimates.

People who don't know anything about their roof or simply don't care won't be impressed with you selling just one brand of materials.

People who do know atleast a little and do care, will be more impressed with you having knowledge of numerous brands, thus you can find the roofing systems that best fits their personal needs.

Unless your going to get certified by them all, I would not get certified by any of them.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
We've discussed to be or not to be certified. It doesn't hurt anythign to be cetified so why not do it. I can see no good reason not to be certified, even if it is meaningless. Does it means you are god's gift to the leaking roof? No, but at least your trying to improve yourself and your company... Not to mention if for no other reason, the FREE LEADS you get by being listed on the manufacturers website.

Being certfieid shouldn't be anyones primary sales tool. It should be "Oh and by the way Ma'am we are certified by this contractor. It means that we have studied how to install their product and they have approved us to promote their upgraded warranties, if that interests you." Let's say that again, we have studied on how to install their product. We have studied on how to install their product.

Yes the test is an open book test. But let me put it to you like this: An engineer and I were chit chatting once when I had just graduated high school. I was working as an apprentice tool and die maker in a machine shop. I thought that was where my career was going. Anyways I commented once on how smart I thought he was because when chit chatting this guy eally knew his stuff. Nice friendly older gentleman, anyways his answer is something that stuck with me and will probably stick forever. "Being smart isn't memorizing everything, it's just memorizing where to look for the answer." then he pointed back to his massive book shelf of answers.

While a certification might not earn you the respect of your colleagues it damned sure should earn you a wee bit of respect from your customers, and after all it's your customers who pay your bills, not your colleagues.

Good point outlaw. Being different.

·
Residential Roofer
227 Posts
I was not trying to suggest he not become certified, just don't limit yourself to one is all.
I personally won't sale any one brand, thus would not restrict my advertisement to any one brand.
People who take the time to view your website are looking for options,
other wise they would simply call a few numbers out of the yellow pages.
I have previously worked for two larger roofing companies, they both maintained certifications through multiple manufacturers.

I just bid a 24 square re-roof this past Monday and got the job even tho I was $950.00 over the second highest bid and $1200.00 over the bottom bid.
The home owners reasoning for going with me,
I was the only one who showed multiple 'brands' samples with out him having to first ask.
I was the only one who told him 3-tabs will last if installed properly, all four of the other roofers insisted them to be an inferior product in comparison to laminates 'we only install them if we have to', He purchased the 30 yr 3-tab, which labor wise pays the exact same amount, material wise he saved $6.00 per square.

Why did he contact me in the first place,
I was one of two roofers who had websites that allowed him to learn a little about my business prior to meeting me and the only one that showed multiple brands of materials to choose from on my website.

Thus, in my area I have found the nitch for being different than the rest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.