Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have been talking with a ton of tradesman in different industries lately and have been pretty shocked by what they tell me their biggest problem in business is.

So, to get some more insight - what is your biggest problem in business?

Is it:

Hiring people
getting more work
getting quality work
just doing the work
or whatever else you can think of

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Managing life and my company....here I am 3AM and I still doing something related to my business. I make a lot of sacrifices along with my kids. No matter how well I pay install crews they ALWAYS HAVE TO BE MANAGED, Cant take your eye off the ball if you want to deliver a high level of customer service and product. ABC consistently has issues, (I have 3 other suppliers to mitigate that) Crews will have a few good weeks then fall apart other weeks. (I try to be there at least once on every install but doesn't always work out, time after time you have to reinforce expectations and verify your product is being carried out as outlined in documents regarding installation requirements ) dumpster company lets you down, customers have unrealistic expectations and or are complete assholes doing their best to take advantage of you like they are ripping off some big conglomerate like Wal-Mart. (I have more then enough business, do my best and weed those customers out but they slip by you here and there, fooling you with an easy going beginning then Turing into a nightmare............ BUT 2nd year running my own show, on pace for 2 Million++ gross sales. Very low overhead, Home office, I don't advertise, I have more referrals then I can get to, (I only do insurance work, 6 years experience dealing with carriers, 500k of capital is a must if you want play in this game, 220k in accounts receivable for 2021 that the company carries for the customer "deprecations", I'm going to get paid but deprecations and supplements take months to come in most of the time...but ABC and my crews get paid regardless (I carry zero debt, how I operate, others have credit with their suppliers...to each their own) …just part of the industry I use all sub contractors for everything. Never anticipated this level of sales, but like anything it comes with quality of life issue. STRESS. I love the chase and closing the deal and at the end of the day I cant stop the hustle. It makes me very good at what I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No matter how well I pay install crews they ALWAYS HAVE TO BE MANAGED, Cant take your eye off the ball if you want to deliver a high level of customer service and product.
Shoot! Do you have project managers to help make things go smoother there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The business has a lot of problems. The biggest one, in my opinion, is now trying to hire people and get the maximum profit at the minimum cost for employees. Often now they pay the minimum wage and the conditions in the offices are simply terrible. I went freelance a long time ago and preferred to work from home. I recently discovered coworking spaces. It seems to me that the right atmosphere can set you up for creativity and work. You can meet a variety of people in Top 8 Coworking Spaces in Brooklyn for 2021 | osDORO | Coworking Spaces & Offices for Rent US & Australia

1 - 5 of 5 Posts