Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
All systems are only as good as the installation and the weather conditions dealt with during the install.

If I had my druthers, I would prefer a built up roof, but there are not enough general roofers with talent to know how to do that adequately.

I find the white thermoplastics enjoyable to work with, especially for a detail minded person like myself, who can concentrate and allow the hours to just wither away.

Ed

·
Registered
170 Posts
Torching is dead ! At least it is in this part of the country and may spread to the rest of it. I have some torch equipment right next to the kettle that we dont use. may start a roofing museum for that junk LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nothing beats a good PVC.

The heat-welded seam is king.

TPO is OK but I still need to see more of a track record.

I have done many TPO projects and have even done a few projects more than once (within a few years) as Warranty Claims due to material failures.

My kettles have trees growing out of them and my torches only see time with the maintenance crews on older roofs we service...that is until I can replace them with PVC :thumbup:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Which brand)s) do you prefer to install?

Sarnafil

Fiber-Tite

IBRoofing

Trocal

Duro-Last

Bond Cote

Some are hybrids, but still fall into the same family.

Ed

·
Customer Benefitter
57 Posts
VFI Aromatic Aluminumized Polyurea, hands down better than all of the aforementioned systems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sarnafil and Fibertite are the top 2 that I go to bat with.

IB does not seem to have any presence in our area tho what I have seen at the trade shows I did like.

Trocal became HPG who then was bought out by JM if i recall correctly.

I do not currently install JM but the old HPG system was great.

Tried DuroLast on a few projects but didnt buy into the pre-fab roof thing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
...and why is that?
Because he sells and installs them and is comfortable with the results, plus the high profit margins, I would speculate.

Ed

·
Customer Benefitter
57 Posts
Beacause it is a 100% seamless roofing membrane system with more elasticity than all of the aforementioned systems, except maybe EPDM.

Because I install the entire roof myself. Because it is both flexible and tough. Easily repaired if some type of mechanical damage does occur. Because it withstands ponding water indefinitely. Because it has excellent resistance to petro chemicals and animal fats.

Becasue it holds up as well or better than the other previously mentioned systems.

It is not a foam, but a two part instant set membrane system.

The only thing we cannot go over is tar and gravel. For this you need to install a layer of foam first.

·
comml roofing contractor
2 Posts
LUUUUV ib but hate the cost!!
sarnafil
GAF EVERGUARD
bondcoat-2jobs
flexmembraine-3 jobs
custom seal basical a higher in duro-last using a 60 gen flex product.
fibertite
gen flex
and versiweld
did 5 jm tpos like it ok.
and yes even duro-last!!
epdm,gen-flex,versico,manville,ect i install a lot of products or have in the past some i like some i dont .
Been roofing along time have installed alot of bur-coal tar 18 yrs worth then went to the condom roofing as the ole boys call it.Was with the union for along time started roofing as a helper in 79 so you know its all only as good as the installer. And there knowledge and of course product line has to be of good quality and you will come to know that over time we all seen roofing material come and go.:laughing: Sorry ed did not mean to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Tiny, it looks like we have nearly identical experiences, except I started in 1978 instead.

How did Custom Seal and the Mayle family end up with their patent lawsuit that Duro-Last brought against them?

Don't forget another D-L knock off, called At-Last out of LaPorte, Indiana too.

I remember meeting Steve and his Dad at a few of the Awards banquets and then Steve came to my office, but at the beginning, their shipping was a killer on price.

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
Beacause it is a 100% seamless roofing membrane system with more elasticity than all of the aforementioned systems, except maybe EPDM.

Because I install the entire roof myself. Because it is both flexible and tough. Easily repaired if some type of mechanical damage does occur. Because it withstands ponding water indefinitely. Because it has excellent resistance to petro chemicals and animal fats.

Becasue it holds up as well or better than the other previously mentioned systems.

It is not a foam, but a two part instant set membrane system.

The only thing we cannot go over is tar and gravel. For this you need to install a layer of foam first.
I'm not calling it bad. But for me I have lost alot of faith in so called field installed membranes. In addition nobody has ever given me a difinitive answer to how to control the thickness of any sprayed in place systems other than "the intstaller has to have an eye for it." So you are eyeballing your work? Seems like some spots will be thicker than others.

I installed an elastomeric to manufacturer spec once. We sized an area and poured the 5 gallon bucket to the area, then spread it to the area blah blah blah. When all was said and done I thought we applied it liberally, extra thick for a good roof. The manufacturer said it was too thin during their warranty inspection. They used an elastomeric mill tester they claim. How exactly does that work other than to puncture the roof membrane to check the thickness?

Then on this same system of pouring aprox 3 gallon per square over cement board to make a so called "seamless monolithic roof membrane", the butyl tape on the seams in the cement board ended up peeling back and puncturing or tearing the elastomeric membrane. We had all sorts of leaks. The manufacturer actually had the balls to ask me to pay them to fix a roof they warranted! It was a manufacturer product failure anyways since the seam tape failed, not an installation problem, but the fact remains that it was not the roof I was promised it would be... so we stopped selling it.

Pretty much I think everyone in my company is at the concensus that if it's not a factory fabricated membrane it can't be trusted. We will still do coatings, but not guaranteeing them the same way we used to.

Oh and add to the mix all the spray foam roofs I've fixed, but those were pretty much due to installation error. But you can see why I have a bad taste in my mouth for these kinds of systems. :sick:

Oh and finally, what about over spray? Just like controlling the thickness the answers I get are as follows.... "it happens." For me that's not an answer, that's an excuse.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts