Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Renoworks in a generic version that has colors of CertainTeed products and Owens Corning has their own version of it called Exterior FX.

The software allows you to insert various roofing products into a photo of the home and change the color. It helps the prospect to get an idea of what the new roof will look like.

The Owens Corning version is better, the colors are more accurate.

Some of the CertainTeed colors are not accurate at all. For example Colonial Slate, Driftwood & Pewter all look like a dark gray. You can’t seer much of difference between them.

It seemed like the software was helping to sell more jobs and that was one of the reasons I offered the Owens Corning Products last year.

The downside was that it got out of hand. The customer wanted to see too many colors and it was taking up too much time.

You can’t make a final decision by looking at a computer screen anyway; they have to look at a sample board.

Lately I haven’t been using it because of the amount of time it was taking. Plus sometimes I would do all the work of helping them to find the right color and they would end up buying it from someone else.

This is another example of how Owens Coring is better at marketing than CertainTeed. Owens Corning makes sure that their colors are more accurate.

I only have 2 problems with Owens Corning. I’m not sure about the effects of the sealant they use; it’s a solid line instead of spots like all the others. The other issue is I can’t offer their top of the line warranty.

I started a thread about the Duration shingle but no one responded do it yet.

What are your thought s about this software?

·
Registered
755 Posts
With RenoWorks, you need to download the actual product library from the manufacturers they support, or who have paid them a fee to have their product line included.

I would only do one sit down rendering for someone without charging though.

Just show them the manufacturers website and they can pay through them, for their specific home, just as well.

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
Norandex has been sending me stuff for some software. I've been dumping it in the trash. I am getting out of siding and windows and going to focus almost solely on roofing and gutters. Commercial buyers don't look at you as a serious roofer when you have "windows and siding" on your business cards.

I can do it in photoshop anyways. Although I seldom have a need to do so. These rendering programs are highly valuable for siding installers, IMO not so much for roofers.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Compare CT to OC

Here is a picture of CertainTeed colonial Slate and Owens Corning Colonial Slate.

I used to take the pictures from far away but now I think it is better to take a close up.

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Wow the software is much better than it used to be. We'll see if a need ever develops for it.
Tamko still is not on board and Heidi gave me some good pricing on Ownes Cornig, which is on RenoWorks.

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Want not need

Wow the software is much better than it used to be. We'll see if a need ever develops for it.
At some point in your sales process you have to go beyond selling to their “need”. You have to make them “want“it.

When the homeowners saw the premium and 30 year side by side they said they like the look of the premium better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does exterior FX have the ability to change the pitch of the roof?

I currently have Reno works and I'm highly dissapointed in it. The shingles look like they are on a 7/12 no matter what the pitch. Oh, yeah the colors are very acurrate either.

BTW Jack, those are very nice pics:thumbup:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't find the problem at all regarding the look of the pitch of the roof. It works just fine for me.

I believe the Exterior FX from Owens Corning is just a renamed private label version of RenoWorks.

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Renoworks

Does exterior FX have the ability to change the pitch of the roof?

I currently have Reno works and I'm highly dissapointed in it. The shingles look like they are on a 7/12 no matter what the pitch. Oh, yeah the colors are very acurrate either.

BTW Jack, those are very nice pics:thumbup:
You can adjust the image to any pitch you want by adjusting the perspective.

Renoworks has colors you can download. They now have colors available by region. You should make sure you have the latest update. Some of the colors are accurate except for the gray colors.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sold that job

I sold that job that you see with the OC shinlges.

They said I had the highest price.

I also included adding soffit vents and baffles.

We added on gutters, gutter protection, blown in insulation and a warranty upgrade. They decided to go with the premium shingle after seeing the visualization.

So maybe it is helping with the upsell as well as helping to build desire for the new & improved appearance.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OC vs CT

One of the reasons I brought up this topic is to help me decide which product to offer.

If OWens Cornings version of the software helps me to sell more jobs would it be worth it to offer their product instead of CertainTeed?

I sold OC on that job because they found me through the OC website.

I have been promoting CT products becasue I can offer 5 Star. I can show them picture of CT products but they are not very accurate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts