Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm familiar with most off the roof up-sells.i.e. 50 yr shingle , gutters, double valley flashing, warranties.

However I'm looking at other things to set me apart from the others.

Insulation has been discussed, and I'm just now doing that, however the only other up sell I have thought off is caulking the windows.

Anybody else got any ideas, There is alot of talent and smart minds on this site, I look forward to your ideas.

P.S. I'm in Florida

JamesFl

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
Find out what the standard operating procedure is and one up it. If 15# is king, you sell 30#. If people do closed cut valleys you do woven. If people do the bare minimum ice shield you do all the problem areas with ice shield. If people are re-using flashings you replace flashings. If people tear off without tarps you use tarps.

And the key is to make sure the customer knows the difference. I give you this advice but am having a very poor year as far as replacement jobs go and have been considering offering two packages. 1) the upgraded and 2) the basic.

Get a good brick mason and start selling chimney and parapet wall rebuilds.

People seem to be very happy to buy cheap commodity roofing and redo the roof every 10-15 years. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
i`m not sure about shingle roofs but on tiles and slates offer up rebed and point. most roofs that i repair here are generally in good nick but it is the cement that has deteriorated. my experience tells me that cement doesnt last as long as the tile or slate. so a lot of people request a "rebed and point". take off the old ridges, remove the old cement and re bed them. also rebed the gables and fix broken tiles etc etc. like a tune up for you roof. in these tough times when people dont want to spend money on a new roof this is a good alternative. its fast and effective. if you wanted you could throw in a pressure clean. i suppose you could call it roof rejuvenation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i`m not sure about shingle roofs but on tiles and slates offer up rebed and point. most roofs that i repair here are generally in good nick but it is the cement that has deteriorated. my experience tells me that cement doesnt last as long as the tile or slate. so a lot of people request a "rebed and point". take off the old ridges, remove the old cement and re bed them. also rebed the gables and fix broken tiles etc etc. like a tune up for you roof. in these tough times when people dont want to spend money on a new roof this is a good alternative. its fast and effective. if you wanted you could throw in a pressure clean. i suppose you could call it roof rejuvenation.
i just noticed the RE ROOF bit . sorry. its worth a shot though. works well in australia.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Metal Valleys

I offer metal valley’s, galvanized steel or copper.

I’ve sold a few of the steel valleys.

Currently my supplier is using steel made by Firestone; it has a Kynar finish, .024 thick. Be careful that you don’t buy cheap stuff that will fade quickly.

They buy it in 4’ x 10’ sheets and rip it down to 2’ wide sheets and bend it for me.

Hire a mason to rebuild chimney caps with 5” thick concrete.

Attachments

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
Yeah standing seam and skylights are another great upsell. I have photos of both in my presentation book and flip through on the page and simply say "I don't know if you have any interesting in installing skylights (pause for a second for a resonse) or maybe you wanted to set off the house by putting some metal-work on this or that area (again pause for an answer). Sometimes they say good idea, sometimes they say no. Either way I tried. I always encourage metal work on bows and bays.

Good advice Jack.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Heres an idea. Why not ask the customer what other services they might be interested in?
That's what I do during the initial phone call.

I give them a list of things we do and ask if they are considering any of those things.

So far any one that has had an interest in insulation has bought it. If they are not interested they will tell you so.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Yeah standing seam and skylights are another great upsell. I have photos of both in my presentation book and flip through on the page and simply say "I don't know if you have any interesting in installing skylights (pause for a second for a resonse) or maybe you wanted to set off the house by putting some metal-work on this or that area (again pause for an answer). Sometimes they say good idea, sometimes they say no. Either way I tried. I always encourage metal work on bows and bays.

Good advice Jack.
If you install a skylight do you include building the shaft and finishing it off completely with drywall and paint?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you install a skylight do you include building the shaft and finishing it off completely with drywall and paint?
Yes, when we install new skylights we are capable of the complete job, cutout, framing the shaft, drywall, paint and electric.

Attachments

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
If they are willing to pay we can do the whole thing although we encourage them to get their own interior man for the drywall and painting if they have one otherwise I sub it out.

No electric or plumbing since those are licensed specialty trades.

·
Roofing Expert
353 Posts

I offer dry verge systems, dry ridge systems and dry hips(plastic and mechaniclly fixed), i try so steer clear of cement/sand if i can help it but if they want a quick fix then so be it, what ever the customer wants!
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
AttiCat blown fiberglass insulation from OC. We sell it with the roof on residentials. We do it when the roof is torn off so that it is a non-intrusive process to the homeowner.

Had much success over the years with programs like the GAF Master Elite, Certainteed Master Select, and OC Platinum Preferred contractor certification. Allows you to offer better warranties and differentiate yourself from your competition.

Just remember...if you don't tell them their upgrade options, they won't upgrade with you at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.