Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of changing my pitch sales attack. Instead of of one sit close, I'm thinking of a two sit. The first would be a meet and greet, measure and a appt. set for a few days later that will be the close. What are everyone's thought or suggestions on this approach?

How do you other sales guys do it?

I'm trying to overcome the "we're getting other bids" response as well as position myself to be the last bid in the door.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had the same thought. Quick initial response has always been my goal to show responsiveness.
Making a date for a couple days down the road and being on time and prepared to that meeting gains credibility.

That window in the middle may very well give other Contractors the chance to show the opposite (not return phone calls and those that do will most likely give costs and specifications giving us (You or I and HO) the information to make a informed decision with all costs and options at hand.

Also, on that final meeting they already know us and the guard may be down enough to close the deal.

I have on order 3000 door hangers and when they come out I am out there starting a canvassing approach personally, then by the third meeting they will surely know me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same thing. I went out yesterday and closed a one sit, but he had wind damage, my second and final appt. I left some reference's , color brochure, BBB info, and my card. H.O. asked how much, we have an appt. on thurs now for the second sit which I hope will be the close. I let you know what happens.

·
Banned
313 Posts
2 call close

I currently use a 2 visit system.

The first visit I walk around and look at the job with the prospect, measure it and give them some references.

The 2nd visit is set up 1-3 days latter when I come back to sit down for a conversation and presentation.

I used a 1 call close system for awhile because I wanted to save the time of making 2 trips. The downside was I made more mistakes because I was rushing through the process. I did the estimate on my computer in my truck.

I prefer to do the estimate in my office so that I can have time to get ready.

I figure prices for 2-3 shingles and include proper venting.

I offer prices for add-ons like insulation, gutters, chimney repairs, metal valleys, gutter protection and more. It takes time to get ready for that.

It’s hard to position yourself to be the last one in. You run the risk that someone else will close it before you come in.

However if it comes up in conversation when the other guys are showing up I will always try to come in after them.

I have not come up with a tactful way to ask the prospect to let me be the last one in. Any way I think being 3rd in is best. If they startout getting 5 estimates and you want to be last then they may not want to spend any time with you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jack, thats the system I want to use.

I'm betting that, no matter what close is presented by others prior to my second visit, that the H.O. response will be " I'm waiting on another bid, sorry, I'll let you know"

I feel certain that 75% will say that, based on my market area demographics (I'm in S.W. Florida)

I may still, despite my best efforts, not be the last guy in. However, my second sit should be such that, based on my time to prepare, I stand a much better chance of closing as opposed to the "rushed" one sit.

Jack, what your close rate with the two sit?

Versus the one sit?

Thanks,

James

·
Banned
313 Posts
Jack, thats the system I want to use.

I'm betting that, no matter what close is presented by others prior to my second visit, that the H.O. response will be " I'm waiting on another bid, sorry, I'll let you know"

I feel certain that 75% will say that, based on my market area demographics (I'm in S.W. Florida)

I may still, despite my best efforts, not be the last guy in. However, my second sit should be such that, based on my time to prepare, I stand a much better chance of closing as opposed to the "rushed" one sit.

Jack, what your close rate with the two sit?

Versus the one sit?

Thanks,

James
I'm not sure if there was much of a difference, but at least I'm not making mistakes. Also I am prepared to add more stuff on to the sale.

·
Banned
313 Posts
I have had the same thought. Quick initial response has always been my goal to show responsiveness.
Making a date for a couple days down the road and being on time and prepared to that meeting gains credibility.

That window in the middle may very well give other Contractors the chance to show the opposite (not return phone calls and those that do will most likely give costs and specifications giving us (You or I and HO) the information to make a informed decision with all costs and options at hand.

Also, on that final meeting they already know us and the guard may be down enough to close the deal.

I have on order 3000 door hangers and when they come out I am out there starting a canvassing approach personally, then by the third meeting they will surely know me.
A quick response is always good.

Studies have shown that an appointment scheduled longer than 3 days out is likely to get re-scheduled. Most people don’t know exactly what they will be doing that far out or they may have forgot about taking the kid to a soccer game or whatever. And if an appointment gets re-scheduled your probability of closing go down by 50%.

Only decision makers can get people to make decisions. If you are indecisive about setting appointments your prospects will be indecisive about buying from you. That’s why stalling will work against you. Try to set the first appointment no more than 3 days out. Then try to set the second appointment no more than 3 days out from the first appointment.

What you sow is what you reap. Sow indecisiveness – reap indecisiveness. You should know what day you are available before you get on the phone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have now bid four projects with the new two visit sales approach. One signed and one verbal acceptance(waiting on credit line approval) T, he other two, which were bid first, have decided to wait due to the unexpected cost.
I will be following up with the later two in a few weeks. I'll keep you posted, but the feedback I got regarding my new proposal(18 pages and counting) was very positive.

I also wore shoe protection(medical supply store) The shoe thing really helps set you apart from the ones that don't use it.(wives like it, they told me so)

I was the highest bidder on the sale and the verbal.

James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts