Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster here. I've been asked to look at redoing this roof (see attached pic) and while my first instinct is to run away I realize there are a lot of folk willing to do a not-so-great job, and I'd like to make sure it gets done right. The dome is only about 20 feet in diameter. Any advice would be appreciated!<br><br><br>

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm wondering whether there is a better material than roofing paper to put under the shingles, or how to handle the paper over the fairly short radius of the dome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well roofing a dome, however short its diameter, is extremely challenging because of the extreme dexterity required to manage different slopes, angles and converging seams. May I know what shingles do you plan to use, asphalt or metal? as these two are best suited for domes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are going to have an issue with the curve of the surface. If it is bowed wood under then you are going to have issues with the shingles not lying flat. If it is piece wise flat you will have troubles with the angles. Very challenging. My guess is whatever you do it is not going to have the adherence a flat surface would have. Make sure the owner understands that.

Jesse
Elite Roofing

·
Registered
1 Posts
William Lawson

find some good No.1 wood shingle and steam them until they are soft and bendable they will conform to the curvature and lay better than whats on there now. Old timers used to completely drain all asphalt from a Tar kettle fill it with water and blast the heat, they would put chicken wire over the kettle opening and lay there wood shingles ontop of chicken wire and steam them until soft and install them

·
Registered
3 Posts
For keeping everything nice and straight with even reveals I'd use a mix of reveal blocks and dry lines held to finish nails every three or four runs of shingle, measure up from the bottom to make sure they're consistent all the way around and good luck!

·
Super Moderator
426 Posts
For keeping everything nice and straight with even reveals I'd use a mix of reveal blocks and dry lines held to finish nails every three or four runs of shingle, measure up from the bottom to make sure they're consistent all the way around and good luck!

Pretty sure he's finished that, thread is 4 years old

1 - 15 of 15 Posts