Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, When I had my roof replaced back in 2007 after a bad storm the contractor wanted to add ridge vents along with the vents that were already on the roof. The house does have soft vents all around the house. He has done a lot of roofs around here so I said go ahead. Lately I have been reading that the vents should not be that close together that the air will just circulate between those two vents leaving the hot air in the attic. I was told that the best and cheapest way to fix it is to plug the square vents (turtle vents) with insulation until I get a new roof. I have a guy lined up to do that once the weather cools off. Hoping for some thoughts and advice on this. Thank you very much!

Sky Plant Window Cloud Building
Sky Plant Window Building Rectangle

Sky Plant Window Cloud Building

·
Super Moderator
655 Posts
Look up a ventilation calculator. You might need a few extra box vents to complement the ridge venting because of the limited length of ridge with a hipped roof. As long as the box vents are close to the ridge like yours, you should be ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks roofermann, I will check the ventilation calculator. So you don't think the hot air could come out of the ridge vents and be sucked back in through the box vents?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not knowing much about roofs I just watched the GAF video about how to install hip vents. I can see how they would be beneficial to improving air flow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts