Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have like 75 bundles of double layer hip and ridge shingles. Besides having no key ways, tabs, or details on the top layer, what would happen if I used them on a roof project?
It’s a small house with only one side that uses shingles and the other side is rolled roofing (not considering using them as a sub for rolled roofing). Will they work as a normal shingle. I think they would be better as they are double layer (if installed correctly).

I understand the weight, but they aren’t any heavier than a timberline. Each layer is tarred, and the bottom also has tar and the Cellophane, covered tar line at the top line a normal shingle.

There is this extra 4” strip at the top of each shingle, I assume that is a gauge for overlap.

I’d love to use these for a roof, please tell me what you would with all of these.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
Using them as a roof, you will have to course them 1 inch (or more) less than 1/2 of their length like you would with slates. I'd remove that strip at the top so they lay better. So if they are 12in tall, course them every 5in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts