Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Are you guys getting any calls to remove snow or ice from a roof?

I’ve been getting quite a few calls lately from homeowners with ice dams. I’ve been charging $200-300 to come and rake snow off the eave edge. If they want Calcium Chloride I’ll pour some out on the ice dam.

There is an opportunity to make a bigger sale from these customers. They could need ventilation, insulation or a new roof.

I have yet to do a blown in insulation job but I should be prepared to start giving quotes for it this week.

I’m just wondering how you guys handle incoming calls about snow or ice, do you provide service to those prospects?

Have you had any success turning it into a bigger job?

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
I haven't gotten any calls from anyone to remove snow this year except a couple customers who we're waiting to install the gutters or do a roof repair. I tell them all we will do it on a T&M basis and there is no guarantee we will be able to do the work after removing the snow because we won't chop out ice due tot he fact that it'll probably damage the roof/gutter more than currently.

In the past, each job where I have removed snow and ice from a roof has turned into at least a repair. Some have turned into full replacements.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snow removal

I haven't gotten any calls from anyone to remove snow this year except a couple customers who we're waiting to install the gutters or do a roof repair. I tell them all we will do it on a T&M basis and there is no guarantee we will be able to do the work after removing the snow because we won't chop out ice due tot he fact that it'll probably damage the roof/gutter more than currently.

In the past, each job where I have removed snow and ice from a roof has turned into at least a repair. Some have turned into full replacements.
I have received at least 10 calls recently for snow removal. I sold 4 of them and some of these are prospects for insulation & ventilation.

IF want to sell snow removal you have to be able to get someone out there right away or they’ll call someone else.

To generate leads just put a web page titled “Roof Ice Dams”.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean.

Most companies are set up to go after small sales like a service call.

I stared responding to these calls because things have been slow here in Michigan.

I have a web page about ice dams; the ordinal purpose for the page was to give customers information so that they could rake the roof off their self. I would rather have them do that instead of calling me about a leak.

After responding to these calls I realized that these customers really need something else. Snow and ice removal is only treating the symptoms. They could need a new roof, ventilation and insulation.

If you are there doing snow removal you could be the guy they look to for a bigger job.

·
Registered
755 Posts
That is good advice on targeting and predetermining the customers who will now or soon be in need of some form of roofing, ventilation or insulation work done in the near future.

Has anyone had any experience with Steam Power Washers to melt away the ice dams?

I don't, but have read about them.

They seem to work pretty quick and get the immediate job done. I would imagine, that it is even an item that could be rented for that unique purpose until you are comfortable enough to buy one.

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where can you find one?

That is good advice on targeting and predetermining the customers who will now or soon be in need of some form of roofing, ventilation or insulation work done in the near future.

Has anyone had any experience with Steam Power Washers to melt away the ice dams?

I don't, but have read about them.

They seem to work pretty quick and get the immediate job done. I would imagine, that it is even an item that could be rented for that unique purpose until you are comfortable enough to buy one.

Ed
I've never heard of Steam Power Washer, I wonder where I could rent one?

·
Registered
755 Posts
It is basically either a Low Pressure or High Pressure Power Washer, with a heating coil unit attached to build up the temperature of the discharge.

Maybe you painting buddy at Somerset or Somerville Painting at that AttractiveHomes site that you mentioned to me a long time ago would be able to clue you in on brand and price specifics.

Here is a Google Search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Steam+Power+Washer&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

And, here is one well known, but rather pricey top of the line manufacturer:

http://www.hotsy.com/?source=google&camp=coupon&gclid=CPaGgrOWsJgCFQkzawodTTtVTw

Ed

·
Expert Roofer
134 Posts
The ideal time to sell anything to a consumer,is when they have a problem

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snow and ice removal jobs

I've sold 10 snow & ice removal jobs recently. Some of them say they are interested in insulation but I have not sold any insulation jobs yet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've sold 10 snow & ice removal jobs recently. Some of them say they are interested in insulation but I have not sold any insulation jobs yet.
Did you send out fliers, advertise it on your website, knock on doors, call previous customers, or place an ad in the local paper?

What created the work for you?

Were they profitable? (Duh, better than sitting home)

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From website & google

Did you send out fliers, advertise it on your website, knock on doors, call previous customers, or place an ad in the local paper?

What created the work for you?

Were they profitable? (Duh, better than sitting home)

Ed
They found my website from Google.

It's not a lot of money but this last year has not been good. Not very many people are spending money around here.

I charge them $197 for snow removal & $45 for a 50 lb bag of ice melter. It works out to around $100 per hour, although I haven't really been tracking the hours. All I know is I'm putting some money in the bank. Most job are between $287 and $467, I had 1 that was close to $600

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sold One

Well the snow and ice is gone for now but I closed an insulation job yesterday.

I did about 12 snow and ice removal jobs that brought in about $3800.

A few of those people wanted estimates for insulation and one wants an estimate for a new roof. So I got about 6 good leads that could turn into future work.

I sold my first ever insulation job to one of those leads for $2117. That included adding soffit vents and ridgevent.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sale #2

Ed I owe you a favor. You invited me to CT forum and I’ve been exposed to some good ideas.

After reading info from that plumber that talked going out for a service call and then making a larger sale I got the idea of doing snow removal and then selling something larger.

This is the 2nd sale I’ve made after responding to a call for ice dam removal.

The job entails building a steeper roof over the porch, adding insulation and improving the ventilation. We are going to replace about 12 squares of roofing on the front of the home.

The sale will be at least $7300.

I know you’ve been exposed to a lot of good info online but you seem to be struggling to bring in business. If you need some advice on marketing let me know and I’ll give you a call.

After the presentation they told me they were 99% sure I would get the job but they were waiting for someone else to get back to them with a price. He didn’t follow up so they decided to give the job to me without a comparison quote.

I'm going down to get the contract tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Jack,

I am really glad to hear you good fortune and positive outlook.

The only payback I like to see, is open and honest sharing about what is ans what is not working and generating some outside of the box thinking, which you have done very well.

I have learned many, many things in the past 2 years myself, so I guess we are even.

I never mind talking with a fellow tradesman though, anytime, even if it is just to shoot the Bull, but also to dissect and evaluate each others marketing ideas.

By the way, how is your painter friend of yours, doing with his website? Somerset Painting, if I recall correctly, but the sites name was something like www.attractivehomes.com or something real close to that.

Did you guys ever work out an arrangement to feed each other leads and work?

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It didn't go any where, yet

Jack,

I am really glad to hear you good fortune and positive outlook.

The only payback I like to see, is open and honest sharing about what is ans what is not working and generating some outside of the box thinking, which you have done very well.

I have learned many, many things in the past 2 years myself, so I guess we are even.

I never mind talking with a fellow tradesman though, anytime, even if it is just to shoot the Bull, but also to dissect and evaluate each others marketing ideas.

By the way, how is your painter friend of yours, doing with his website? Somerset Painting, if I recall correctly, but the sites name was something like www.attractivehomes.com or something real close to that.

Did you guys ever work out an arrangement to feed each other leads and work?

Ed
The painter wanted me to pay him a 10% referral fee. I thought that was too much.

I gave him a few referrals without asking for a referral fee. I don't think he landed any business from it.

He did give me a couple of referrals but I have not closed any yet. I don't talk to him much any more. I'm not sure if it will ever develop into anything.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After picture

Here’s the after picture.

We built a steeper roof over the porch, added insulation, installed the Inhaler fascia vent, ridgevent, baffles and a 6” gutter.

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Nice carpentry add on. :thumbup:

Do you have any close up photos of the cultured stone chimney flashings and how you dealt with the joints in the mortar?

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re-used flashing

Nice carpentry add on. :thumbup:

Do you have any close up photos of the cultured stone chimney flashings and how you dealt with the joints in the mortar?

Ed
The chimney flashing was in good condition and it was set into the mortar so we re-used it. We had the new rafters terminate just short of the chimney to make things easier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts