Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta love ol' Zig. What a valuable piece of information he gave me when he said those words and He is absolutely right.

If we want to get our price, we need to be smarter. It would be nice to be the only one in the door on just referrals getting our price but thats just not going to happen.

There is a couple things I think I will be doing this year that will set me farther apart from my competition.

Every we all get more aches and pains and I for one want to be compensated more this year than I did last year therefor I will be charging more than ever and justifying the cost with the way and what I sell.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I love the thoughts of Zig also.

For me, I try to Differentiate as much as possible, so that there can Never be an Apples to Apples Comparison.

Every single step of the procedure is different that the run of the mill roofing contractor.

From what we do during the initial phone call and estimate process and then the presentation to the pre-job discussion and then prior to even starting the project, how we take precautionary measures

Now discuss the ground prep and the dump truck versus the dumpster container. Then the tear-off procedure and the wood decking inspection and replacement procedure if required.

Then the prep, prior to installing the roofing materials. Do you pound in the old nails or do you pull them all out? Why? What adverse affects could occur if done one way versus the other.

What about the ice and water shield and the felt paper. What do you do extra? Why is that better?

Gutter Apron Drip Edge Metal and Rake Edge Overhanging Drip Edge Metal and the starter strip shingles along the eave edge and the bleeder strip shingles along the rake edges.

So on and so on.

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
I explain step by step what we are going to do and explain where others will probably cut corners. I give good detail in my proposal so even if we are doing the ame it appears we are doing more.

The other thing I won't run an estimate if I don't meet with the customer. I don't go for the one sit sales but it's a waste of MY time to bid a job without getting to know the customer and especially allowing them to get to know me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grumpy,
You are right about face to face. I want to know the people I am working for... I might not like them and how will I know I even want to work for them...LOL.

Details are great, however confusing them is not. Some terms, products and installation procedures described to a homeowner are understood like a TV repairman explaining me the inner workings of my television set.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
They don't understand my proposals nor the words I am saying. You can never say the words: trust, quality, or get them to laugh often enough. That's what they remember.

The proposal details are also greatly for my protection and so if we want to compare apples to apples it's never apples to apples... but if I say install new roof it leaves too much to the imagination, to much gray area for the "But I thought you were going to do this..." Nope it's there in black and white. Install ice shield? yes I will, but my proposal doesn't say that. it says, "Install 6' of ice and water shield at the gutter lines, 3' in the valleys and 18" around all penetrations such as pipes, chimneys, skylights and where ever the roof meets the wall." My proposal doesn't say install felt paper, but does say "Install 30 Lb asphalt saturated premium organic felt paper over all areas of the exposed wood substrate."

·
Banned
310 Posts
To sell the difference you must help the prospect to perceive and to feel that you are different and better than your competitors.

If they perceive that they are comparing apples to apples than it would be in their best interests to go with the lowest price.

The challenge is to present yourself, your company, your products and services in a way that makes them feel that what you are offering is different and a better fit for what they are looking for.

You must be able to create apples to oranges comparison.

That being said I don’t want to get into a situation where the prospect tells me the other guys price which is x amount lower than mine. Then he asks me to explain why mine is higher.

It’s hard to justify your price with logic, it puts you on the defensive and typically you can’t win that argument.

The way to overcome that problem is to make a good presentation so that they feel comfortable with you and what you are offering. If they feel good about doing business with you they are not going to ask you to justify your price.

The difference will be crystal clear because you made a better impression on them than the other guy did. In other words if they see the difference before you quote the price it will be much easier to close the deal.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That being said I don’t want to get into a situation where the prospect tells me the other guys price which is x amount lower than mine. Then he asks me to explain why mine is higher.

It’s hard to justify your price with logic, it puts you on the defensive and typically you can’t win that argument.

quote]

I had that one last night.

My response, even though 2 others were significantly lower than me, by around 2 K and even less for the other guy.

Mr. and Mrs., what I don't understand is how they can do even their lesser qualified scope of work for so little.....

Wait.....

Then, they said, Well, You're right Ed. None of them had anywhere near all of the items included in their "Bids".

They didn't sign up last night, but the lady is going to be calling some people on my reference list.

I would think that is a good sign, wouldn't you?

Ed

PS.
If I felt the need, I would have shown the dollar amount per hour and a per man hour average from an estimating book, like Craftsman and then quickly totaled up the hours and add on the Overhead and any other Burden, plus a quick guestimate at current material prices and that figure would have been over the 2 guys bids, or pretty darn close.

Now, the only way to be cheaper is to use unqualified and underpaid workers.

How do you get guys to work in this trade for less than a fair hourly pay?

Maybe they don't care about training and testing and safety, or maybe they prefer a non-Englis speaking crew who just came into this country and will work for beans.

Is that the type of crew that you want to install your 1st line of defence against the elements and which is supposed to last 30, but only if done correctly?

Really, tell me the truth.....

Is that the type of workers you want around your home and practicing on your roof?

Well, I think you made a wise decision.

Please also sign on this form, right here.

Now that we have that out of the way, here is our reference sheet, so please write down 5 friends names that have lived in their home for over 10 years now, or live in an older neighborhood.

Thank You and we will call you several days prior to the materials and equipment getting delivered to your home, okay?

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.