Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about becoming a roofing salesman- the roofing companies in my area (Minnesota) are hiring "insurance estimators".
I understand that there can be good money in this. Although I have never sold a roof, I have substantial experience in both outside sales AND property adjusting; I have been on thousands of roofs and I know hail damage. Logically, it should be a good fit.
However, I am a bit sceptical.
As an adjuster, I met lots of young salesmen that were lured into the business with the promise of huge commissions, only to find that their employers (the roofing cos.) beat them out of most of their commissions after the jobs were completed.
In addition, many of these salesmen told me that their employers expected them to "find" hail damage on every roof, whether it was there or not. My impression was that this sort of thing was the rule, not the exception. I often discovered that these salesmen damaged the roofs themselves, in an attempt to fabricate hail damage.
Most of these young salesmen didn't last long, and I sometimes felt sorry for them. However, I find myself needing to increase my income substantially, and thought I'd look into it as a career option.
I am proceeding cautiously, in the hopes that I can find a roofing company that is ethical and decent to work for, that doesn't take advantage of its salespeople, and where I can make some good money.
I am looking for the pitfalls and how to avoid them.
Any advice?

·
Registered
755 Posts
You have an edge by being experienced with adjusting already.

I liked the advice you were given on Roofing.Com by one of the posters already, by you interviewing the companies available to see what they are charging and go with the one(s) that are charging properly for their work, so they already have your commissions accounted for.

Share the various commission options that you are being potentially provided and the answer should become clearer.

Also, ask to speak with a salesman who also hired on with that company from your area and see how they are treated and see if you can dig up someone who was recently departed from the same company and see why.

If they are a temporary Out Of Towner, I would be wary though.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts