Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a GAF New Product Designer.

If you have a new product idea (shingle, tool, etc) or just want to vent about current design shortfall(s), please post here.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If we had a product design, what assistance could you provide?

Do you need a prototype or just drawings and how could someone be sure to protect their intellectual rights for the potential marketability of that product?

Ed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm the guy that can make new products a reality.

You can protect you new idea by submitting an invention disclosure and apply for a provisional application - it can run you $500+ in legal fees. Check out this link: http://www.patentapplications.net/disclosure/index.html

Or you can submit your idea to me (online or offline) either by just giving me a description or sending me a drawing. If I think it's a marketable idea, i'll speak with the higher-beings to see how we can proceed.

I'm not in the business if stealing ideas..i'm in the business of making new, innovative roofing products. I don't get royalties...if i patent a new product, I get a small bonus check (trust me small). I can work with you individually to work out compensation for any new ideas you share.

Hope you all can trust me...

Here is my address to submit ideas offline:

GAF Material Corp
R&D Lab bld 2-1
1361 Alps Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
Attn: Tommy Rodrigues

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are so many inferiority's in the Timberlines that I don't know where to start.

GAF underlayments are very good (shingle mate, and I&W), but the shingles are just not up to par with the other brands.

I have read that there is a big difference in their quality in different parts of the country. GAF hasn't had a good shingle up here that I can remember. The newer Timberlines may be updated, but they are so soft at 55 degrees that they just smear on the roof.
Sorry to say, but I'm not impressed. Although GAF isn't the only company I will gripe about........:whistling:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yesterday it was 55-60 degrees and sunny. We had to be very careful walking up the roof to put the ridge cap on. It seems that alot of these newer shingles are thinner, weaker, and cheaper.....(oh, but more expensive) ;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm the guy that can make new products a reality.

You can protect you new idea by submitting an invention disclosure and apply for a provisional application - it can run you $500+ in legal fees. Check out this link: http://www.patentapplications.net/disclosure/index.html

Or you can submit your idea to me (online or offline) either by just giving me a description or sending me a drawing. If I think it's a marketable idea, i'll speak with the higher-beings to see how we can proceed.

I'm not in the business if stealing ideas..i'm in the business of making new, innovative roofing products. I don't get royalties...if i patent a new product, I get a small bonus check (trust me small). I can work with you individually to work out compensation for any new ideas you share.

Hope you all can trust me...

Here is my address to submit ideas offline:

GAF Material Corp
R&D Lab bld 2-1
1361 Alps Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
Attn: Tommy Rodrigues

I am interested in discussing something further, but I need an ironclad Confidentiality Agreement Form in place first, prior to any discussions taking place.

Ed

·
Public Adjuster
116 Posts
Ironically, in a lot of the roofing contractors who post here seem to use CT products. I have to assume that there are large differences in the quality of product from certain factories. Personally, we have been using GAF products both commercial low slope and steep slope for well over 10 years and I have never had a problem. Maybe its the area. You can't buy any CT products locally where I am at. They just don't have a presence in our market. Most guys around here view it as an inferior product. I'm not exactly sure why, that's just the way it is. GAF and Tamko have this market cornered and have for years. OC is making ground, but well behind.

·
Residential Roofer
227 Posts
In my area, Gaf/Elk and Tamko are the heavier sales, with OC and Certainteed a strong second than Atlas and IKO.

Except in the big box stores, Lowes, Carter Lumber, 84 Lumber, etc.,
in those type stores/lumber yards you find OC on top than Gaf a strong second and very few of any others in stock.

The only pet peeve I have with Gaf/Elk is the paper wrappers, save the recycled paper for offices, schools, etc., and recycle some of the tons of waste plastics we have and wrap the shingles in it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know of any shingles in paper anymore. Truthfully I like the paper much better. GAF was in plastic first up here. Others followed because it is cheaper.

·
Residential Roofer
227 Posts
Gaf/Elk are both still in paper around here,
I believe there the only ones, not sure.

I like the plastic better because it's easier to contain the wrappers buy tying them into a ball, the paper will sometimes even blow out of the dumpster, like it was yesterday with the winds gusting up neat 20 mph.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We need a good reliable button cap gun that uses plastic caps and roofing coil nails... like the BK gun but with better parts availability and product availability.

We are also looking for a gun that has the balls to shoot a .131" 8D ringshank coil nail for renailing decking to code in Fl. that will drive the nail home in old hard lumber and shoot fast.... the Max and others just ain't fast or strong enough... (also make it light... LOL).

A peel-n-seal shingle underlayment that has traction, sealability, high UV rating, light-weight, and has a split release on the back...

more to come...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am interested in discussing something further, but I need an ironclad Confidentiality Agreement Form in place first, prior to any discussions taking place.

Ed

I have an agreement being written by my legal department and I will send it once complete. Where should I send it? E-mail, Fax, Etc. You can e-mail me direct [email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We need a good reliable button cap gun that uses plastic caps and roofing coil nails... like the BK gun but with better parts availability and product availability.

We are also looking for a gun that has the balls to shoot a .131" 8D ringshank coil nail for renailing decking to code in Fl. that will drive the nail home in old hard lumber and shoot fast.... the Max and others just ain't fast or strong enough... (also make it light... LOL).

A peel-n-seal shingle underlayment that has traction, sealability, high UV rating, light-weight, and has a split release on the back...

more to come...
The guns are harder to do...but for the P&S underlayment, we have something new in the pipeline. How important is the UV factor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gaf/Elk are both still in paper around here,
I believe there the only ones, not sure.

I like the plastic better because it's easier to contain the wrappers buy tying them into a ball, the paper will sometimes even blow out of the dumpster, like it was yesterday with the winds gusting up neat 20 mph.
Home Depot reqired plastic wraps and is our biggest buyer. I don't like plastic because I find them harder to open and it traps water inside that causes rub-loss (i.e. granules falling off the face).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ironically, in a lot of the roofing contractors who post here seem to use CT products. I have to assume that there are large differences in the quality of product from certain factories. Personally, we have been using GAF products both commercial low slope and steep slope for well over 10 years and I have never had a problem. Maybe its the area. You can't buy any CT products locally where I am at. They just don't have a presence in our market. Most guys around here view it as an inferior product. I'm not exactly sure why, that's just the way it is. GAF and Tamko have this market cornered and have for years. OC is making ground, but well behind.
You are correct about the quality differences between plants. We are in the process of making changes to become more "seamless".

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
The guns are harder to do...but for the P&S underlayment, we have something new in the pipeline. How important is the UV factor?
For me, UV stability on an underlayment is not at all a factor one bit. I do not beleive in dry-ins therefore I cover the felt and ice shield with shingles. If for some odd reason we get stuck and can't cover it all that day, we will cover the felt with a tarp. You can never be too careful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yesterday it was 55-60 degrees and sunny. We had to be very careful walking up the roof to put the ridge cap on. It seems that alot of these newer shingles are thinner, weaker, and cheaper.....(oh, but more expensive) ;)

That concerns me...What area are you located? What i think you are describing is what we call scuffing or granule loss. Is that correct?

You're correct in saying the product is thinner, but it is not weaker.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have an agreement being written by my legal department and I will send it once complete. Where should I send it? E-mail, Fax, Etc. You can e-mail me direct [email protected]
You can send it to: [email protected] or through the Contact Us section on our website.

Does GAF have a specific program for co-venturing the development and marketing of other peoples patent ideas in place currently, or would everything be handled on a case by case criteria?

Do you need a sample of an actual working prototype?

Ed

1 - 20 of 30 Posts