Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
How many roofers are actually bidding the jobs? Really to me it sounds like a reverse auction.

How does a building or home owner know what materials they want, or need for that matter? They need a professional roofer to educate them on their options, and where other unscrupulous hacks may try and cheat them. There needs to be a meeting of the minds before a bid can be put together or else the bidder is just guessing and throwing numbers out there.

I've seen this type of system with computer programmers, web designers, etc... and I will tell you the lowest bidder usually wins.

Who would take the pictures, or would they be satellite and aerial photos? If they are satellite and aerial, then why can't we take the pics ourselves? I mean we all here have the internet already.

Now I will say this sounds like a very clever way to be a prime contractor and have sub contractors working for you with no liability to yourself. for example you do the advertising as a referral company, go out measure, photograph and broadcast the info to the 20 roofers or wht ever. Then the roofers bid on it, you toss on your markup, provide the bids to the customer and get paid on both ends. Once by all the roofers in your network and once by the buyer when they choose to buy. Sounds interesting from that point of view.

·
Residential Roofer
227 Posts
They all start out offering the same promises.
When times get tight, they do the same as everyone else,
which is to except anyone willing to pay a monthly fee into the bidding process or simply set up kick backs by giving certain contractors first access.
It's a good concept, but not a new one.

·
Banned
313 Posts
I get the feeling that you are promoting your business here.

There may be some contractors out there that would want your service but I am not one of them.

I have never tried to be a low bidder and in my opinion only a fool would try to get jobs by having a low price.

There are lots of contractors that claim to be licensed and insured and they are still low ball bidders.

Any prospect that is focused primarily on price is not a prospect that I would want to spend my time chasing after.

·
Registered
755 Posts
What is the name of your company and the website address of this service that you are referring to, so we can check it out?

Is is Local, Regional or National?

It sounds like something that uses the aerial or plane or satellite imagery for the measurements and is now soliciting to get roofs bid out amongst it's paid membership.

How many would get the information?

What subsidiary or affiliates would also have access to the information second hand?

Ed

·
Registered
755 Posts
So, you are going to employ a Nation-Wide Team of canvassers and roof estimators to supply the necessary information to the end user clints that subscribe?

If someone is savvy enough to get a home owner to respond to that request, without it being a hail damaged area and the canvasser also knows how to Properly measure a roof, what would prevent the individual from passing on that lead to his buddy who owns a roofing company?

By the time your subscribed members get wind of the lead, the "Buddy" will have already completed the roof job.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts