Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see in the photo, the roofer that did my house is just putting shingles directly onto the plywood, without using any underlayment.
He says it was the way he was taught and that it would never leak up there. He said that leaks happen closer to the eaves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that he skipped the underlayment to save time/money, and that the underlayment should have been done.

Can any experienced roofers help me with this? Is he right, or am I right?
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Wood Road surface

·
Super Moderator
655 Posts
Ontario? Bad news, underlay (except an ice+water shield type at eaves and valleys) isn't code there. Blew my mind when I learned of that, they even have different verbage on the wrappers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ontario? Bad news, underlay (except an ice+water shield type at eaves and valleys) isn't code there. Blew my mind when I learned of that, they even have different verbage on the wrappers.
Oh really eh? Geez, that is surprising. Well, I suppose I shouldn't expect leaks then (as I assume it isn't code because the shingles on top of the plywood is sufficient)? I always thought underlayment was necessary when putting a new roof on. Guess I learned something today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts