Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while roofing in australia i used this roof tile cutter. manually operated like a guillotine, no running costs , very light , no dust on the roof from a consaw or grinder and performed the task of cutting a whole hip in one quarter the time of a consaw. from a health and safety point of view , a great tool. from a money making point of view, a great tool. brought on e back to ireland and tried to stir some interest to no avail. to me its a no brainer, the best roof tiling tool on the market i will never cut another tile with a consaw. has anyone come across them? i would be interested in any opinions of them.
jason

·
Registered
754 Posts
Was that for Slate, Clay, Porcelain or Concrete Tile?

I could see a chop style blade working for slate and there are tools for that through places like Jenkins, but for concrete, I used a 12" or 14" gas powered Stihl with a diamond blade or a Bosch 4" grinder with a diamond blade fot more meticulous detail cuts.

I think an electric cut-off saw might be a better option than the gas, due to the filter always getting clogged up with dust, to say the least about your nostrils.

Ed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this cutter is for concrete and clay tiles. no dust . no petrol , no gas . no power. i would use a handcutters or a guillotine for the slate. porcelan ? i`m not too sure about that. i think i would use a grinder or consaw. i`ll get a picture of my one and stick it up this evening.

·
Roofing Expert
353 Posts
hey dave
the croppers look like exactly the same principle just on a smaller scale. do you still use the consaw on the tiles?
cheers
jason

Hi Jason, yes i use a petrol driven saw with a diamond tiped blade for cutting concrete tiles, bit dusty but the quickest way.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi dave
we used the consaw aswell in ireland. it does give a better finish on the valleys. but as for the hips and rough cutting of the valley you must try out this this tile cutter or "cracker" as we call it. it is so much faster than the consaw. could save you a lot of money on labour over time. i cant reccomend it enough. it can be used to final cut a valley but i think the consaw gives a better finish.
cheers
jason

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
check out hytile tile cutters. they are an australian made tool but i`m sure they are sold in the us. the consaw is good for the finish cuts but this tool is asfer cleaner and healthier, not to mention much faster. which means more money in your pocket. after all that is why we are in business.
cheers
jason

·
Registered
41 Posts
I seen the hytile cutter in action... looks like an excellent tool, only limitation I can see is in a valley. Penn Marshal from All Points Tile http://www.allpointstile.com/index.htm has gained the rights for this tool in the US and has them in stock... if your looking for one give them a shout and mention my name...

USA website is up and running... http://www.hytileusa.com/index.htm

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.