Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 7 years ago there was a noob working for the company I was working for he fell through a skylight after a 13 hour day and died. The thing about this is it could have been prevented. There were two formen on the job one of them my friend he was very attentitive to his crew, He told the other forman "hey it's hot these guys are burnt out lets finish tomorrow" The other forman said "no we only have a little left to do lets get it done" this went back and fourth for awhile finally my friend said whatever and started to pack up his crew And thats about when the noob on the other crew fell through the skylight. Well the company was found guilty of his death and settled with his family. The owners insurance went through the roof so they had to sell. I was taken on by the new owners and safety meetings with a safety consultant once a month, osha trianing, every kind of training imaginable. When we went through all the training courses we started over,and over, and over. We as formen had tailgate meetings everyday with our guys. We had every safety certificate known to man. But we went 4 solid years with not one reportable injury at 65 hours a week. There were appoxmately 35 employees. Until a tile noob cut himself with a tile saw. Primarily As a flat roof roofer it's easy to forget that you are still on a roof and it can still be dangerous, you have to constantly remind yourself and your crew. Me and My second man are as close as me and my wife:huh: As a foam applicator I spend my time walking backwards on the roof, my second man tags my hose and makes sure I don't trip over things or walk off the edge of the roof. These bonds are tight and we watch out for each other with constant vigilance. I work for a different company now and my helper is still with me. I get extra guys on bigger jobs and if I detect the hint of Alcohol on them I send them packing for the day. I also manage big jobs with lots of guys on them and whenever I see horseplay, unsafe actions, or even the hint of something unsafe I send them packing. Yeah you can say I take safety as the most important thing. It only takes one mistake to cost the owners there livelyhood and you your job or worse your life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People don't drink on the job but may come in on Monday hung over. Believe it or not alot of roofers out here don't drink or they are weekend Warriors. In the summer time here in tempretures of 110-116 and a lot hotter on the roof tends to make people non-drinkers during the work week. It's mostly new roofing labors that come in smelling like henessy and bullets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
.............. According to MSN there are approximately 37 fatalities annually among roofers for every 100,000..............

That is a very high figure. Here in the UK (according to HSE stats for 2009/10) where we have very stringent safety laws, that figure is reduced to 2.2 deaths per 100,000.
Having only read through a couple of the safety threads here, I am surprised at the cavalier attitude that some roofers display towards their own safety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a home owner, it is really important to make sure the safety of our roofs. So here in Ct, I always call the help of Ct Roofers to check our roofs regularly and do the maintenance.
I would like to add... Especially in Colorado Springs where roofing fraud is at an all time hi. It is so important that local roofers take a huge role in protecting the customers within our local communities. We can provide this level of service by raising the standard. Doing so will not only generate sustainable credibility, it will preserve integrity.

BLUroofing.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
The roof is the highest point of the house so dealing with it requires extra precaution. Falling from a roof during a repair or maintenance is one of the most common accidents involving roofers, that is why roofing contractors like Trident Roofing should follow every safety precaution in the book. According to MSN there are approximately 37 fatalities annually among roofers for every 100,000.

Any work on a roof is a risk. The nature of the precautions needed to work safe may vary from one job to another, roofing companies like Trident Roofing may implement their own safety rules but not providing safeguards is unacceptable. There are many factors that could contribute to avoidable accidents when working on roofs these are:

• Pitch of the roof – the steeper the pitch, the more difficult it is to maintain your footing.
  • Moisture – rain, snow or frost may cause slippery conditions on the roof.
  • Dirt or Sawdust – may cause slippery conditions on the roof.
  • Footwear – the traction of shoes/boots varies, always wear good traction shoes/boots.
  • Tripping hazards – tools, electric cords, etc. can create a tripping hazard.
Observing safe work practices is very vital to ensure the safety of the workers. Roofers need ladders when they are working. Proper use of the ladder is a must know for roof workers. When using a ladder roofers should always make sure the ladder is at a set level and at safe distance from the structure. Some method of stabilizing the ladder should be used. A roofer should not walk on a roof any more than is necessary or they may cause more damage. They shouldn’t walk on tile and slate roofs at all they're slippery and breakable. Also, they should remember to keep their center of gravity low and over their feet to keep their balance and keep them from falling.
Thanks for the insightful post. A really interesting read.

·
room2roof.com
114 Posts
That is a very high figure. Here in the UK (according to HSE stats for 2009/10) where we have very stringent safety laws, that figure is reduced to 2.2 deaths per 100,000.
Having only read through a couple of the safety threads here, I am surprised at the cavalier attitude that some roofers display towards their own safety.
Americans have a tendency to act like safety is uncool and therefore all the Marlboro smoking cigarette toughguys crankin up sweet home alabama every ten minutes on the radio with their no safety attitude until ol billy bob tumbles off the roof to his death or in a wheelchair for life do not get hired by my company. I run a tight ship and safety is first in my camp!!

roofers in charlotte nc | roofers in lexington nc

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with OP, I believe that work should be work and that everyone should be able to go home at the end of the day free of injuries caused in the workplace. For me personally my biggest concern is Crystalline Silica dust, not many people realize but it is absolutely debilitating top one's health, I believe that it is in the best interest of all to avoid inhaling silica dust when cutting clay or concrete roof tiles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.