Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently semi-retired and have a slew of home projects that have accrued. Darn....

A 2005 vintage Velux manual opening skylight has leaked. It is the glass seal, wet wood on interior of skylight, ruined drywall, trim, etc. This is a deck mount Velux. There was a roof replaced and the roofers used Grace Ice and Water shield everywhere, so that is in good shape.

Question: Can the top opening part of skylight be replaced or do I have to go all the way back down to the deck? The lower part of the unit looks good, hard to see why it needs to be pulled. Any advice welcome.

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Talk to velux, might be possible to just order the opening part. If no joy there try somebody that does glazing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like Velux changed the design the year after we got these, so no way to just replace parts. Frustrating. I could pop the glass and reseal, but considering the damage already done from the leak, I don't need a repeat on that one.
This is a deck mount unit. Any thoughts on replacement with curb vs deck mount? Will need a roofer either way

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Curb mounts sit higher, something to think about in high snow areas. Other than that there's no real difference in functionality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have two other fixed Velux lights. Looking at Dr. Google, looks like these or any brand of light can lose a seal over time. Thinking maybe as a preventative to add Dow 791 silicone as an extra barrier on the two skylights. If the insulated glass pane dies it will be time to replace regardless, but avoiding interior water in the house is more important here in our wet climate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts