Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like advice on taking the RCI Register Roof Consultants Exam. I am planning on getting my credits need to qualify for the exam within the next year. I will then take the test at the RCI show in 2014. Does anyone know where to start studying?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The RRO is a different exam. It does not go into the depth that the RRC does from what I have heard. The RRC study sheet has a list of 39 references, most of them costing over $150. It will be a long and costly process. Any tips from someone who has taken the test before would be a great help.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I took this a few years ago... I would suggest knowing the study material they list. If you don’t already have most of these books and use them on a daily basis, this test will be tough for you. Reportedly, only 30% of people pass this test. When I took mine several guys were on their 4th try and one guy was on his 7th. Most very intelligent architects and engineers. I would highly recommend taking the RRO first, it’s a good base for the RRC.
But if you really want to Just take the RRC focus on these things.
  • Roof types and their installation: Memorize the NRCA manual and understand the installation. its best to do it or observe it. Know what roofs are made of and the differences in chemical makeups. Also there are questions about some roofs not in here.
  • Codes/Testing: Know all the code requirements and how they apply. You don’t just need to know the codes where you live but all over the country. Focus on ASHRAE 90.1, All the ICC codes (including plumbing and Mech), IECC, ASCE-07, ASTM (there are multiple ASTM tests referenced on the test).
  • Design: understand the calculations needed for Wind design, drainage design (drains and gutters) I knew these formulas you need. They said you don’t need to memorize the formulas but there is info they don’t give you. Most importantly be able to do these wind and water calculations in your sleep!
This is not an easy test. I’d been involved in all aspects of roofing for 13 years before I took it. If you didn’t have experience like me I would imagine it would be challenging. Let me know how it goes or if you have any specific questions.

D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts