Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you guys recycling shingles?

My supplier gave ma a flyer of a company that recycles shingles.

I need to check into it and do a little more research.

Here’s how it works;
  • My supplier would ship out cardboard boxes with the shingles
  • WE would have to load the scrap shingles into these boxes and stack them on pallets
  • When we are done I would call the recycling company and the will come out and pick it up the next day using a Hilo.
The boxes are 4’ x 4’ and 4’ tall.

I think he said I would have to order the boxes in sets of 7 for about $15. It’s supposed to be equal to a 10 yard dumpster.

The recycling company would charge me around $200 to pick it up.

I’m not surer about all the details; I’ll get back to you when I learn more.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
Recycling shingles is becoming more common. I know my dumpster company recycles some roofing products but 3 years ago when i asked them about shingles, they said it wasn't cost effective to turn them into road asphalt yet. However tearing off 3" of thick old BUR is ideal for recycling into road tar.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Over here in West Michigan we have a company that is allowing us to dump shingles for recycling. They typically prefer "clean" loads, with only shingles and nails. Nails are ground with the shingles, then a magnet at the top of the conveyor belt pulls out the metal. Re-grind goes into a dump truck and is hauled around the corner to an asphalt company to be mixed with the aggregate used in the blacktop.

Been working out to about $45 for a 6 yd dump trailer load, give or take. About half of what it would cost to dump at the landfill for us.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In my town, If I tear off a roof of 6000 sq feet and it cost about 30000 to do it all. We have to pay a deposit of 3000 + permit +tear off company . The tear off company must dump the shingles or roll roof where they can be recycle, If no!, I lost my deposit. To recycle in these areas cost a us alot , $70.00 per ton .

·
Super Moderator
472 Posts
In my town, If I tear off a roof of 6000 sq feet and it cost about 30000 to do it all. We have to pay a deposit of 3000 + permit +tear off company . The tear off company must dump the shingles or roll roof where they can be recycle, If no!, I lost my deposit. To recycle in these areas cost a us alot , $70.00 per ton .
This thread is 7 yrs old.:laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts