Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys used Pictometry?

They have a program available for CertainTeed Contractors.

I just went out to measure a cut up hip roof with an 11:12 pitch, about 50 squares.

It was too difficult to measurer from on the roof. I did climb on the roof with my Cougar Paw Boots but could not walk around enough to get all the measurements.

I am thinking about using one of these services for this type of roof estimate. Not to replace the onsite visit but to make it easier to get the measurements.

I got a free sample from Eagleview that I thought was good.

How would you say Pictometry compares to Eaqgleview?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Until another one re-opens up after they have had to sue another vendor for using their company name in promotional materials, for the time being I would recommend GEO-Estimator.

They have a less expensive alternative and you can buy bulk quantity discounts.

But, very shortly, the other vendor will re-materialize.

By the way, Eagle-View uses the photos from Pictometry, but they have additional resources for some areas too.

Ed

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Until another one re-opens up after they have had to sue another vendor for using their company name in promotional materials, for the time being I would recommend GEO-Estimator.

They have a less expensive alternative and you can buy bulk quantity discounts.

But, very shortly, the other vendor will re-materialize.

By the way, Eagle-View uses the photos from Pictometry, but they have additional resources for some areas too.

Ed
Does Geo-Estimator give you the square footage for each side of the roof like Eagleview?

I took a brief look at Pictometry and it looked like you have to outline the area using your mouse. I don’t want to invest my time doing it manually; I’d rather have the provider give me the squarer footage. I’m referring to a cut up hip roof with 20 or more sides.

If it was a gable roof I would just measure it myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Geo-Estimator is a much more robust utility compared to Eagleview. Eagleview is a great tool, however, we've run into numerous times when Eagleview came back to us and said they couldn't digitize the image due to overhead obstructions, etc. One of them was the owners house, which I know for a fact has one tree overhead that covers a small portion of the Southwest side of the house.

With Geo-Estimator you will get the report in a day or two, download it to your local computer or network, open the file in their program and begin verifying the information. They want you to verify two items - 1) Roof pitch for ALL roof planes, 2) a reference line. It is incredibly accurate, as is Eagleview; however, Eagleview doesn't allow you to modify their dimensions if they happened to make a small mistake.

Pictometry, on the other hand, is great for flat roofs. I tried for two weeks to navigate that program and get accurate results, on the same house that I measured four times with that tool, I got four different results. Why is it good for flat roofs, if it's not that accurate? Easy, you don't have to try and determine roof pitch on a flat roof - all you need is the slope, which you'll field verify when you make your core cuts.

With any of these systems you still need to go and verify pitch, layers, penetrations, site conditions, etc... that is not why these tools are useful. They allow your salesmen to be more effective and cover less ground in their vehicles, less time having to visit and revisit a jobsite, and also less time figuring, refiguring, calculating, recalculating a job.

So far in the two dozen houses we've used on Geo-Estimator the largest variance we've seen in actual field dimensions was two feet. Which isn't a big variance with respect to the overall project.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use Pictometry combined with Roof-Logic. Pictometry is an excellent tool. I ran comparisons with field measurements prior to signing up and it was very accurate. Great for commercial buildings and works well for residential if the fly-over picture is good. Residential use is more hit and miss due to shadows and trees that may obscure the view needed to do an accurate take-off. I would say I have been able to use it for 60-70% of residential bids, 90-95% of commercial bids.

I give Pictometry a :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ed,

You say GeoEstimator has a less expensive alternative. Have you tried an Economy report from EV? It's basically the same as either of Geo's products. With all the reports the client enters the pitch and then square footage is calculated.

GeoEstimator's price ranges from $24.95 to $89.95 (with up to a 25% discount for volume) for this service depending on how many regions a roof has and how much detail (ridge and valley lengths for example) you want on the report.

EagleView's price for an Economy report is always $35.00. Subcription price for an Economy varies on volume but ranges from $20.00 to $27.00. That is a flat price for all reports.

If your suggesting Geo's Complete reports are less expensive than EV's Premium report I'd say it's pretty equal, with all discounts figured in for each company depending on the size of the roof Geo's Complete report would cost anywhere from $22.46 to $67.46. EagleView's Premium report would cost anywhere from $20.00 to $60.00. Not to mention EagleView's Premium product is the only report to include pitch. Making it the most accurate and widely accepted report available.

Broken Roofer,

In the rare occasion EagleView makes a "small mistake" just call us up and we'll verify the mistake and get it fixed for you right away. The idea is no matter who hands you an EagleView report (homeowner, adjuster, roofer, etc) you can always trust it's accuracy. We don't allow our clients to go in and change our measurements after the fact.

Imagine an insurance adjuster with GeoEstimator's report he "feels the measurements were too high" so he goes in and manually overrides all the square footage totals to what he thinks they should be. That costs you money and we won't stand for it. I'm not making this story up either, we occasionally have clients call us and tell us that they think our measurements are off because they measured the house across the street and it was bigger/smaller. Or because they think the house is bigger/smaller without actually having been on the roof. We don't want anyone changing our measurements based on their feelings, our measurements have been tested and verified 98-100% accurate time and time again.

That's why insurance companies will always accept an EagleView report, but we've heard from some of our clients that some insurance companies won't except Geo reports because they can be tampered with.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Now that the industry is expanding, there are sources, based on volume pricing, that offer these measurement services for between #3.00 to $5.00 per roof measurement from what I have discovered.

Now, can they remain viable and profitable at that price point to remain in existence?

Time will cull the herd.

Also, if someone wanted their own proprietary software, just for their own use, it can be had for less than $1,000.00

One thing i have not checked into, is Google Earth Pro version, because of the fee just to subscribe to it, which if I recall correctly, was $490.00

But, with Google Earth Pro and Sketchup, you can create your own CAD drawings with the measurements and I believe the Pro version grants higher resolution, if that is the correct term, so that would be interesting to find someone who wanted to use that for themselves.

Ed

·
Registered
754 Posts
Have you guys tried Skytek Imaging for roof measurements? they seem to be really to the point and very affordably priced.
I would if the blonde from the site contacts me.

I briefly spoke with Wendy over the phone when she was at the IRE this past winter.

Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Geo

I know most of these post are old so things may have changed. I regularly order Geoestimator and Eagleview reports. Geoestimator has been less expensive in the past but missed some features, such as pitch, that Eagle view offers. Recently, it has included all that I needed, including pitch, and I never find myself thinking that the Eagleview report would have more. They are both good, Geoestimator is cheaper. With that being said, I dont buy the discount plans from either company. On some jobs Eagleview may be comparable in price, but for the most part Geoestimator is much cheaper. In a lot of cases Eagleview is near $70 and Geo is less than $30. Further, we have installed over 700 roofs since February, 99% insurance claims, not one adjuster has refused or questionsed a Geoestimator or Eagleview reports accuracy or if the numbers have been manipulated. I am sure it has happened to someone, somewhere, but it is not the norm. Eagleview is a more recognized name but they are both great programs.....geoestimator is cheaper. I like them both. One other thing I like about geoestimator is that you will often get your reports back in a few hours with out paying any rush fees...the longest I have waited is the day after my request. This NEVER happens to me when I order an eagleview report.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone. You've all mentioned services. The only thing is that Pictometry is used for all of them. Eagle View buys photos from Pictometry, GeoEstimator does the same thing, SkyTek does the same thing and Pictometry is the only service that offers a tool that gives you unlimited instant access to the imagery and measuring tools. While the other services have their niche, especially for the gentleman that would rather have the work done for him, if you're someone that wants to do it yourself and on your time (instead of waiting for a report to come back) then Pictometry is the service you should choose. You can fully measure a roof and find out all of your detailed measurements including Ridge, Hip, Valley, Rake, Drip Edge and Square count all in a matter of 10-15 minutes. On top of that they have a Pitch tool, height tool, annotation tools, and the ability to export all of the photos and use them for marketing, your websites, proposals or whatever else you want to. To each his own, but Pictometry offers a tool that can be added to your belt. I'm not sure any of the other services can do that for you. 866-389-4645 is the toll free number.

·
Roofing Researcher
34 Posts
Geo-Estimator is great. Please note geo estimator is a client of Pictometry all they do is get your info them they have people that measure in pictometry and put into their proprietary report format. Pictometry is by the minute. It will rarely make sense for an individual contractor to subscribe to pictometry unless you need to use this service in excess of 20 times a year or so.

www.researchroofing.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I'm understanding this thread correctly basically you are saying there is a service where a company is calculating the sq ft. of a roof based upon aerial photos from different angles? I love GIS applications and this is one of the coolest ones I've heard of yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We've use both Geoestimator and Eagle View quite a bit. Perhaps they have improved but I quit using Geoestimator due to them consistently undersizing their estimates. They are probably fine for simple roofs but were missing a lot of real estate with multi-level, cut up complex roofs.

When we need this type of service, we now purchase the standard report from Eagle View and supply our own pitches. $39 each and a reasonably quick turn around, most of the time, within 24 hours.

I've used a program called Connect Point which is essentially the software to work with the Pictometry photos. This program requires that you supply your own pitches. Works reasonably well but takes some time on a more complex roof. At $39, more cost effective in my opinion to simply use the standard Eagle View. If the roof isn't complex, only take a few minutes to measure and a few more to sketch in Xactimate anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a FYI I use pic and love it how ever ins will not take my pic measurements so then I us eagle singling geo much they didn't wool me like eagle did last year at the ire when I made. My choice. Pic is great I can pic a roof from domaines driveway or even before I had 100 hrs last year did use then all but I was very sparing on using them. Will prob upgrade to unlimited this year if prices right at ire

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.