Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see Jack speaking about the OC certified contractors programs, but I rarely, and only upon customer specific request, do I install any of their products.

What are the requirements for their Platinum Plus or whatever it is called, certified contractors status programs?

Tell me about the inside info?

Do they have any study material and testing like Certainteed does?

Does being a Certified OC Roofing Contractor help you out and close more sales?

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
OC Contractor programs

OC has 2 levels for roofer “Preferred Contractor” and “Platinum Contractor”.

The “Preferred Contractor” allows you to offer warranty upgrades that extend the non-prorated coverage for defects in material, including the labor to replace the defective material. I think it’s from 5 years to 20 years.

Here are the requirements to be an Owens Corning “Preferred Contractor”:
Is licensed and insured
- General liability
- Workers Compensation

Is in good standing with the Better Business Bureau®

Has been in business for at least 3 years

Adheres to industry “good practices” and standards
for installation and customer service

Has not filed Bankruptcy in the past 7 years

Has no adverse legal actions, liens or judgments against the company during the past five years

A clear credit record, with no account more than 90 days past due

Good professional reputation and customer references

The “Platinum Contractor” level allows you offer workmanship warranties backed up by OC. It’s like CT 5 Star. It includes tear off labor and dumpsters. It includes coverage for defects in workmanship.

They charge $2000 annual fee, you have to be a member of NRCA, and you have to buy a certain dollar amount of materials per year. I think it was around $750,000 worth of shingles.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

I definitely will not be shooting for that Platinum moniker.

GEEZ!!!

Does anybody qualify?

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
Production subcontractors, who are pretty much a dead breed now, will qualify. OC is a production low grade shingle. Just look at the extra wide nailing area, everything's about speed. Sure they fix their problems but they have alot of problems.

I wanted to be an OC certified energy professional for the attic insulation. They said they didn't want me to be certiufied unless I was certified to install their shingles. Hog wash!

·
Banned
313 Posts
Closing more sales

I have not tried to take advantage of upgraded warranties in the past because I thought that most prospects would not understand or value them.

When CT first started their program years ago I sold a few of them but I never really tried to promote the program.

However this year I am going to spend a little time explaining it t the prospect to see if they are interested.

I think most contractors are not prepared to sell upgraded warranties. If customers want it and I’m the only one offering it then it will give me an advantage.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ed, I was wrong, it's not $750,000 in materials purchased, and its $750,000 in annual sales.

Now maybe it’s within your grasp!
Thats a big difference.

I think if material prices keep going up, that might just be one months worth of sales. :censored:

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
“Top of the House” certification

OC has a certification for insulation also; it’s called “Top of the House” certification. This certificate is available to roofing contractors that are OC “Preferred Contractors”.

To qualify you have to purchase the AttiCat machine and probably sell OC shingles.

One time OC took away my “Preferred Contractor” status because I hadn’t sold any of their shingles.

Last year I was selling both OC & CT, but now I am offering CT and I will only use OC if the customers don’t like CT colors.

OC has a contractor locator on their website and I’ve landed a few jobs from it, more jobs than I’ve got from CT referrals.

OC also has a rewards program, you get points based on the materials that you buy and you can get stuff from their catalog.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In my opinion the all shingle warrantees should be longer say 10 years full replacement costs no matter if you do one or ten thousand roofs per year using their products. I read somewhere that the Warrantee period was originally a Marketing Ploy. Does not seem too hard to believe when a brand new product comes out with a 50 year warrantee or lifetime warrantee. Accelerated testing bologna! Nothing is as severe as mother nature and time alone.

How would it be if us, the Roofers offering any kind of labor warranty, marked on the back of the contact a prorated version? Crooks and swindlers of the worst kind.

There are those that don't have good experience with my shingle manufacturer but I am completely satisfied and confident this is the best product here available to us. I also really like the fact that there is no bs marketing ploy like:
Use enough of our product and we will let you offer more warrantee
or Use these 2 or more of our other products and we can give you the warrantee

or whatever else the big boys are offering. I still can look the homeowners in the eye and say "We have been using these shingles for almost 20 years without any defective warrantee issues- ever, which color would you like to use?"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts