Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys have gone through OSHA safety training? When I worked as a construction manager at Lennar Homes I had to go through safety training and it was worth the time spent.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I went to the Free 10 Hour course this past spring sponsored by the NRCA and yes, I too felt it was well worth it.

If they offer it again, I will gladly attend. (For Free)

Ed

·
Registered
170 Posts
I went twice and thought it to be pretty much a waste of my time. Its driven by the white collar insurance company bureaucrats.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This has really raised my saftey awareness. In fact tommorow I will don not only my saftey harness but my goggles,hard hat and jock strap as well. I will send in a pic.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes And how many were safer due to the cute littlle OSHA 10 card ?
Its common sence is it not ? more jobs for white collar bureaucrats .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is this safety training specific to roofing or does it cover a broad range of jobs? How do you find out about courses in your area? How long does the class certificate lastn before you have to renew it?

·
Safety Guy
16 Posts
Is this safety training specific to roofing or does it cover a broad range of jobs? How do you find out about courses in your area? How long does the class certificate lastn before you have to renew it?
You need to find safety training specific to roofing work. All OSHA 10 Hour Construction courses are general in nature. You get one hour per topic. One hour in fall protection is not enough time to be specific enough for roofers. It helps, but it doesn't go far enough. I know this because I am an authorized OSHA outreach trainer.

OSHA 10 Hour certificates (cards) are good forever. However, we all tend to forget what we learn over time. It is a good idea to repeat the training periodically to refresh your memory.

At least one other person suggested looking for NRCA courses. They are specifically for roofers and the NRCA has excellent safety courses. You have to be a member of the association to get a reduced price, otherwise you are paying retail.

To the others who got nothing out of safety training:

You get exactly what you put into it. If you are not motivated to work safely, then you are not going to get anything out of any safety training because your mind is already made up that it is a waste of time.

Safety is an attitude. Chances are if you have unsafe work habits, then that unsafe attitude probably carries over into your personal life as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need to find safety training specific to roofing work. All OSHA 10 Hour Construction courses are general in nature. You get one hour per topic. One hour in fall protection is not enough time to be specific enough for roofers. It helps, but it doesn't go far enough. I know this because I am an authorized OSHA outreach trainer.

OSHA 10 Hour certificates (cards) are good forever. However, we all tend to forget what we learn over time. It is a good idea to repeat the training periodically to refresh your memory.

At least one other person suggested looking for NRCA courses. They are specifically for roofers and the NRCA has excellent safety courses. You have to be a member of the association to get a reduced price, otherwise you are paying retail.

To the others who got nothing out of safety training:

You get exactly what you put into it. If you are not motivated to work safely, then you are not going to get anything out of any safety training because your mind is already made up that it is a waste of time.

Safety is an attitude. Chances are if you have unsafe work habits, then that unsafe attitude probably carries over into your personal life as well.
Great - thanks for the direction. I explored the NRCA website and found free online courses for roofing fall protection. http://ow.ly/32wnh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts