Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

looking for some advice for a home owner newbie. Getting conflicting messages on whether my roof needs replacing or if repairs will suffice. PictureI below, what are your thoughts?

I also need to reinsulate the attic due to moisture and rodents, if I’m doing that is it worth trying to repair the roof?
Roof is located in Houston and is 17 years old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
Hi all,

looking for some advice for a home owner newbie. Getting conflicting messages on whether my roof needs replacing or if repairs will suffice. PictureI below, what are your thoughts?

I also need to reinsulate the attic due to moisture and rodents, if I’m doing that is it worth trying to repair the roof?

17yo? Time to replace it. And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Repair is definitely not gonna be sufficient. Most roof last bout 20 years before it starts showing more issues. 17 years is old enough and near the stage where you might experience more leaks. Check the house around for mould growth which is a good indicator that that particular area is constantly moist, hence allowing the growth of mold.

The shingles look worn out and not properly placed anymore. The misplacement might allow moisture to seep in especially during heavy storm. It's best to check the foundation of the roof too to see if anything needs fixing. The uneven surface of the roof is probably because the substrate is rotten and dented. Roof replacement is definitely the answer.

Repair only lasts few moments before you get acquinted with a new set of problems again. So yeah, that's my 2 cents, all the best!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts