Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently had a new house built. The roof has been on for about 1 year. When I was cleaning the gutters I noticed the shingles on the gable end had lifted and there was exposed OSB sheathing. I contacted the builder and they had the roofing company that installed it come out and they used some kind of tar caulk to hold them down. It took the 15 minutes. To me it looks like the sheathing is possibly warped. I know little about roofing and was hoping to get some opinions.. The builder says that the repair was to industry standards but I question that. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Looks like the drip edge pushing the shingle up. Can't believe they didn't run drip edge up the rakes too. Builder cheaped out on that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the drip edge pushing the shingle up. Can't believe they didn't run drip edge up the rakes too. Builder cheaped out on that
Thanks. Does it look like the sheathing is warped? It seems to be sticking up. Is the drip edge something that I should ask them to add? They were also supposed to use synthetic underlayment and it appears to be felt. Is there a quality difference between the 2? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
It might be, hard to tell 100% from those pics. Easy fix to renail in that area though. No real diff between felt and synth now that the shingles are on (both have 9 million nails holes now) Builders like synth because it stands up to winds during construction better than felt and roofers like it because it's lighter to carry up and quicker to install.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be, hard to tell 100% from those pics. Easy fix to renail in that area though. No real diff between felt and synth now that the shingles are on (both have 9 million nails holes now) Builders like synth because it stands up to winds during construction better than felt and roofers like it because it's lighter to carry up and quicker to install.
Thanks for the info. Do you know where I can find whether drip rail on the rakes is code in my area?

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
You local code enforcement agency or bldg. dept should be willing to tell you over a phone call.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We recently had a new house built. The roof has been on for about 1 year. When I was cleaning the gutters I noticed the shingles on the gable end had lifted and there was exposed OSB sheathing. I contacted the builder and they had the roofing company that installed it come out and they used some kind of tar caulk to hold them down. It took the 15 minutes. To me it looks like the sheathing is possibly warped. I know little about roofing and was hoping to get some opinions.. The builder says that the repair was to industry standards but I question that. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the eave dripedge is holding up the shingles and it looks like homemade stuff anyway.It should have dripedge all the way @ the edge but its probley too late now because the shingles look to be cut too short..could cause edge of osb to rot w time.

·
Registered
Roofing
24 Posts
The sheathing may need to be hammered down, sometimes it doesn't get nailed down all the way. I would take a wooden block, put it on the shingles, and the hammer on the wood block to push the deck down without damaging the shingles and see if it goes down any. Also adding metal drip edge would be good too. As long as you don't use d-style drip edge but rather a regular 90 degree bend I think you will probably still have enough overhang. It wouldn't be hard for the builders to add drip edge either if they face nail it with metal fascia nails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts