Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer wanting information about thermal imaging equipment, and flat roofs are by far the hardest to do correctly. You get a lot of false positives due to reflection. There has to be almost no wind, and it has to be done mainly after sunset.

I was wondering if you guys could hook me up with the information on this roofing type that the customer is talking about. I need to know how reflective it is. How it holds moisture (water), if it does at all. And what type of construction material it is made out of.

1. mostly flat BUR. up to 2 layers of roof covering with insulation board.

2. I used Troxlers unit years ago

The 2nd comment may be an older type of thermal imager as well, not sure.

Thanks in advance for the information

JJ

·
Expert Roofer
134 Posts
BE BETTER IF YOU HAD A ROOF PIC,BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE describing a hot tar roof,or possibly coal tar

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
Built Up Roofing = BUR. This could be hot or cold. This could be asphalt or tar. Two layers of roof covering can mean many things... 2 ply felt? Or two roof systems installed one over the other?

I am not familiar with Troxler, but I assume that's the camera?

ALways follow up each area shown on the camera to have moisture, with a core cut down to the substrate to test for accuracy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Troxler is a nuclear device used for checking density's. It can be used for moisture but its very labor intensive with drawings gridded out and then crunching the numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts