Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the roofing discussions? Click here!

Need Help Getting Traffic To My Websitte..Uh hum...Grumpy..Ed

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  nmarshall603 
#1 · (Edited)
I never paid much attention to generating traffic for my website. Honestly, I thought "if you build it, they will come". Boy was I wrong. After reading many posts on this website, mainly from Grumpy, Tinner666, and Ed, I learned that a majority of their leads come their websites.

WOW! I mean, that is amazing for a local service company to generate those kind of results from a website. I always get these contact messages from people saying they can get my site to the top of Google. And, like a rookie, i thought, why the bleep do I care if my site is at the top of Google. Who cares if someone in another state sees my site. That was before my eyes were opened to local website optimization. Thank you guys for the enlightenment. I have had my website for three years and never thought it could be the sales generator that you guys say it can. Which brings me to my plea for help. If someone wouldn't mind giving me some of the most critical elements of SEO, I would be extremely greatful. I have heard Tinner66 say that he changed a few keywords to zero in on a certain thing and he boosted his lead generation. Where do I change these keywords? How do I get the search engines to see them? I have no idea. My website is //www.ghroofinginc.com. Maybe one of you is feeling charitable and wouldn't mind taking a look at it for me to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

P.S. If I'm not supposed to post my website in posts or in my signature, I apologize. Let me know if that violates the conduct rules.

Thank you for opening my eyes.

Josh

See less See more
#4 ·
just did a quick check of your site

Hello,

I just did a quick check of your site and see that you are buying the 1 spot VIA adwords for roofiing yakima wa.

After checking out your website with the google keyword tool you don't have (according to google) any keywords related to your geographic area.

The competition is rather weak in your region and it would not take much to grab the top rankings in the search and the google places.

Your website is nice and does not need that much tweaking. Look into getting your listing on google places asap or search to see where it ranks and add some content there as well as gaining some citations.
You are in a rather easy market, whatever you do stay away from yellow book as they are rip of artists when it comes to the web and social media..
I used to run a SEO company but mostly do video advertising now .. Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to help.

#5 ·
Build the site to be optimized for SEO. That's the first key. Alot of sites look pretty which is important for the user, but have no optimization for the search engines, so no users ever see how pretty it is.

Then the next key is to get your site out there everywhere! Find every webpage that you can, every directory, and plaster your link. Start with google places/local and yahoo local, yelp, and on and on and on. You can do this by yourself like I have which is VERY VERY time consuming, and I usually do it in the winter, or there are services which will do it for you which I am considering hiring to do it this year for at least 3 or 4 of my websites.

That's another key I think, is having multiple websites. You only need advertise one, but the rest can be built for seo. See my two main sites in my signature. I have a few more than that out there generating leads as well, they are rinky dink and need work but they're there.

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the info. I have recently "claimed" my listing at google places, bing, yahoo, yelp, and countless others, just as you have suggested. And, man is it ever time consuming. But it is done nonetheless. I guess it will take some time to see my listing rise. What I don't understand, is, the guys I am competing against for the best listing spots, either have no websites, are out of business, or, if they do have a website, they do absolutely nothing once it is up and running. In my area, people are clueless as to the power of local internet advertising. Heck, even I was, and I'm a fairly young guy who is tech savvy. How are these guys getting better listings than me? I don't get it.

BTW, how do I find the best keywords for my area. I have used the google keyword tool, but that doesn't seem local enough. From what I saw, "local" meant the country in which you are located, is that right? I don't know.

Thank you again for your help, any help is greatly appreciated.

Josh

#14 ·
Google SEO, Roofing, Flat Roofing

My only caution would be not to do everything everyone tells you to do. Action on your SEO can also hurt your rankings if done wrong. Similar to a roofer that's not really a roofer thinking he's a roofer and messes up the install.

Our head office is Calgary and our focus is of course Calgary and we are flat roofers. Type Calgary Flat Roofing or Calgary Flat Roofers or Calgary Flat Roof Repair or Calgary Flat Roof Maintenance and you'll see what I mean. We have significant presence in all our key words.

But be very careful, DO NOT just do whatever everyone says, be very sure you are doing it right or DO NOT DO ANYTHING.

Just my advice.

#8 ·
The reason you see others ranking higher with little or no information or websites may be the fact that they are aged and have a lot of citations pointing to their company.
I suggest you don't stop at simply claiming your places listing, pimp it out with photos , videos and keyword centered content. It seems like you are on your way. If you are interested in video let me know. I have videos ranking on page one all across the country.
Some free tools are traffic travis and SEO spyglass.. You can get a idea of what your competition is ranking for, the backlinks they have and where they are placed.

#11 ·
Thank you Carlin and Grumpy. This is exactly the sort of info I have been looking for. You guys are great!

Grumpy, I have read many of your posts and you have stated that receive many leads from your website. I also noticed that you are in a major population area. My area is probably about 10 percent of yours, in terms of population. Should I expect a very small lead generation from my site, or should it still be a good decent source for customers? Carlin, please feel free to divulge if you have any experience with smaller markets. My county, which I service all of, is about 200,000 plus. In addition, I am will service many of the surrounding areas as well. I just want a bigger share of the market. There are only 20-23 roofing contractors in my immediate area, and probably only 4-5 of us actually know what we are doing.

And, none of them market a website, in terms of SEO. Actually, only a handful of us even have a site, and some of them are atrocious.

Carlin, I am absolutely in the market for video. I think it is the way forward. I actually am fairly gifted when it comes to video compositions. I have created several videos for events that I was involved in. Real Hollywood type stuff, for youth. I just don't have video for roofing, which is a bummer because I could put together some great promo vids for my business. I have one that I made for my business on Youtube. I made to play on a loop for a local home show as part of our booth. Check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVlRKcv10w

It was my first video creation.

Thank you both again, for taking time to answer questions.

Josh

#12 ·
Josh,
I have stock roofing videos that I can brand for your company and have them show up in the search engines if you are interested.

If you do a google search for " roofing contractor stafford va" you will see it there. I have that video out as a advertisement for my video services. but I can brand it for any company and rank it on page one in any market.
Here is one of my results video's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS_0bPm71_4

Let me know if you or anyone else needs any help

Carlin

#13 ·
Roofing Leads

Josh, We are a company who actually produces Roofing Leads for companies. The internet is the #1 source of business these days so you have to consider it.

Getting your website found in Google these days starts with the Design. I personally would say have a website professional design to start with because so much is dependent on the design stage.

Once you get that stage covered, you need to start the marketing phase and one good way is to visit Forums and just be active in the group. Add you website to the signature of your profile. That is a simple way to get what we call a backlink. Also create a FaceBook page and link it to your website. There is a million things you can do to get traffic to your website.

I would also recommend placing ads on Google Adwords can, but trust me that it be very difficult if you don't know what you are doing and you can blow through money really quick.

Anyway, if all this sounds like daunting project that you don't want to tackle yourself, we provide all these service on a 100% per call basis! It can be a very good and hands off option.

I would be glad to answer any questions you have,

Glenn

YourRoofingLeads.com
281-394-0833

#15 ·
getting the listings is hard.. it took me 4 hours per company to complete this for roofhaildamage.com and Golden Construction..

www.getlisted.com is a great site to get access to the most important sites to be listed on. People also forgot about linkedin etc.

If you guys need a good web guy let me know, our office is 2 doors from a very skilled designer who has helped us a lot with both sides of our business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.