Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the roofing discussions? Click here!

nails guns and decking

15K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  caliroofer 
Second generation roofer. Its a beautiful thing having the ability to set wack set wack with a light hatchet. This Spring marks my 21st year roofing. The first five I swung a hatchet and you couldn't tell me different was better. Then starting at 8 AM one morning a rival started a new house across the street (new construction) 3 guys with 2 guns and there were 5 of us 4 with hatchets and at lunch we were finishing the back and looking across the street they were ready to cap the ridge. At the chump change we were doing for back then we were working too hard. Needless to say we finished the front with guns and have not looked back. Ever.
I have been asked and the response is simple, no we don't staple, yes we shoot nails. I don't see the difference.
I was wondering how my speed is holding out with my age, so on a wide open walkable I was timed 4 minutes 13 seconds per square. Nobody will ever do that with a hatchet.

Ok boys, up here we use IKO. Metric 3 bundles of 20 shingles per square with 4 nails per shingle. I was thinking this should be something I get on video for all to see. It reminds me of meeting "The fastest roofer in VT" years back. We raced, funny thing was he wanted to sort all his shingles out before we started! I allowed him to "shuffle" two of the four. I nailed on the last of the shingle of the forth bundle as he was opening his last.

Ed, I think you might be using GAF or CertainTeed.

We did a Marriott in Elk quite a few years back 4 bundles to a square. Lots of loose granules to slip on so that as the last until a homeowner requested Camelot last year. 7 bundles per square for Camelot.

We did a CertainTeed last year on Phase 1 of a condo project. Those too had 4 bundles to a square. The boys hated them.
My Ol Pa swore by Bird eh eh I mean CertainTeed but we wrote those off after every Bird roof was defective with fiberglass matt. IKO cleaned up with organtic matt and we like the metric sizing.

RoofSafe,

We are in the same ballpark. I was pressing for speed that day. Lines were popped, already ran up the valley and I was timed in the field. I try and stay in the 3 square per hour range. I shoot leaning over not sitting or kneeling so my motivation is that stretch after a bundle is down.

Up here we get mostly steeper roofs, 12/12 is the best for this guy, give me a cushy for those knees and still including brackets (we don't work off toe boards) I can still press out the three square per hour.

Hammers are for the ridge vent/ cap and setting brackets.

Perfect. Straight. Do the same routine couple hundred thousand times and maybe you too can be quick and good at what you do.
I smirk at those non believers and non capable. I have wagered my fair share at this and walked away with a fatter wallet.
I have often said "Someone call Guinness" because I am the fastest roofer. I will check in on it. I will may need someone to hold the video camera... Outlaw? You busy?

RoofSafe,

I have the un-advantage of being 6'-5". I have troubles seeing the eyes, I snap lines 5 3/4" - 11 1/2" - 23" - 34 1/2" - 46" -
57 1/2" then set brackets. Pretty methodical but it's how I do it. Lines bottom to top never fail me as to matching the courses once I get above the obstacles and more than one roofer speeds up the process.

We use drip up here so the first 4 course are put on by matching top of cut out (3 tabs get lines every course).

Oh, or valleys are the fastest I have seen and once someone does this they never go back.

1. Weave lower pitch or smaller roof up normally. Sweep valley and snap line directly up center of valley.

2. Lay a course bottom edge to the line up the valley (works only with archs) cris-crossing one side with the other at ridge further protecting caps as they dive small ridge to main roof ( sometimes these dry and crack).

3. Main roof run plane to the valley, cutting shingle (square in length) bottom corner up (with hooker).

Valley Done. No hard cold cutting, no too deep cuts with hot summer buttery shingles and very straight!

This last year I spent a lot more time in the truck than on the roof. I stopped complaining to the boys "How its not done yet?" and just glad to be producing top quality work. Yesterday was the first time I have strapped on my belt in months, felt good, but not as good as still having the speed I brag about. I didn't count bundles but the roof is 64' long 19' rakes and broken only by one valley where the front pops out 2' adding up to about 9+/- square. It was also 36 degrees outside and felt great to nail on the entire front in less than 3 hours. Couldn't have done that with a hatchet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.