Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Low sloped roof, existing was an old 4 ply pitch, and it was as we say alive. it burned like hell. Put back modified bitumen, mechanically fastened fiberboard, mopped in base sheet with hot asphalt and torch applied the cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
So where did the Pitch Burn come from without a tear-off?

You were not standing down wind for the dust from sweeping it, were you?

That looks a lot like a roof I did with a D/L membrane a few years ago.

Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So where did the Pitch Burn come from without a tear-off?

You were not standing down wind for the dust from sweeping it, were you?

That looks a lot like a roof I did with a D/L membrane a few years ago.

Ed
The old roof was removed, burn came from dust from cutting machine, we did use a light spray of water to try and keep dust down but there were major splits all over and we didn't want to flood place out. Whats a D/L membrane?

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
DL is duralast. The roof looks good, I think the only things I'd have done different would be rounded my corners on the cap sheet and repalced the metal edging. In that 2nd pic, looks like you re-used the old stuff.

Was the roof deck also the ceiling? On jobs like that the ceiling is usually the 2" T&G roof deck. If so I'm supriosed the customer didn't opt for more insulation.

As for the pitch dust, cut man wears a long sleeve shirt and a full face mask. Basically the cut man is completely covered hed to toe. Yeah I know you can still get itchy though. Pitch sucks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DL is duralast. The roof looks good, I think the only things I'd have done different would be rounded my corners on the cap sheet and repalced the metal edging. In that 2nd pic, looks like you re-used the old stuff.

Was the roof deck also the ceiling? On jobs like that the ceiling is usually the 2" T&G roof deck. If so I'm supriosed the customer didn't opt for more insulation.

As for the pitch dust, cut man wears a long sleeve shirt and a full face mask. Basically the cut man is completely covered hed to toe. Yeah I know you can still get itchy though. Pitch sucks.
I have never seen anyone round the corners around these parts. Yes the roof deck was ceiling as well. Gave option of upgrading insulation but customer was satisfied that there was more than adequate amount of insulation.
New custom metal drip was installed at all perimeters, but we did carefully unlock metal on two stone chimneys and reuse.
We were covered during the cutting process,however its almost impossible to stop all dust from getting airborne.
My second roofing job ever was a pitch rip. It was mopped solid to concrete decking, we used heavy mechanical tenants to grind the roofing down to the deck, Being I was a young kid I didn't take the old timers advise in how to stay upwind and keep the dust to a minimal as seriously as I should have, I paid the price for my ignorance on that one, lol.
I hear you guys down south still install pitch roofs, it's been banned here for the longest time and I only come across it once or twice a year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, it didn't sound like you originally said that it was a tear-off.

D/L = Duro-Last

Ed
This is my 5th year in business for myself, I have yet to install a roof where I went over the existing roofing.
I do install single ply membranes as well, and enjoy using them although with that particular job I was a little hesitant with using a single ply membrane because of the possibility of snow sliding over the lower edge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts