Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Closed on my new home in the Phoenix area last May and I'm having some roofing issues and I'd appreciate a second opinion.
We had a leak a few months ago and they tried to repair it. First they smeared the white sealant all over it (first 2 pictures). Then I told them to remove the sealant because there's no way that's an acceptable repair for a metal roof. The last picture is as it is today with most of the white sealant removed.

Here are my questions:
1. While I'm sure applying sealant to a metal roof may prevent leaks, is this considered a professional, legitimate repair by any standard?I
2. In the final photo, you can see that then end "panel" was cut short so they laid in another piece and caulked the vertical seam. I don't know if this caused the leak or not, but is there any standard by which this is acceptable workmanship for a new roof? I can't imagine the caulk will last that long and it will become an issue down the road.
3. You can see in the one photo that a smaller amount of white sealant remains midway down the roof where it meets the stucco wall. Is this a legitimate and proper way to design and waterproof that roof detail?
4. How is the color applied typically? Is it paint, anodized, or powder coated? Is it common to paint metal roofs to hide repairs like this?

My builder is saying that Arizona law states that they have an opportunity to repair rather than replace the roof. My argument is, from my layman's perspective, this is a workmanship issue not a repair issue and that it should be redone correctly like it should have been to begin with. Am I off base here?

In my mind, I just don't see why you would ever apply sealant to a metal roof. They say that they will paint it so it matches but IMO it will look like crap.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Asphalt Road surface
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Tar
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Flap

·
Super Moderator
655 Posts
I'm guessing that whoever did that roof didn't know how to deal with the detail of the roof slope dying into that flat parapet. Also want to blame the architect who drew that or the builder who did or did not follow the plans. Poor design right there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not acceptable. Improper install.
The proper repair is removing and replacing those panels. Caulks and coatings aren't going to fix improper details such as what you have going on there. The pieces are cut wrong and must be redone.

Caulk isn't going to last long in Arizona just smeared on top of things. Caulk should not be visible on a standing seam roof. It should be between pieces to form a gasket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would definitely not want to hire such a contractor. How do I know who will do a good job and ruin the whole thing? I also need to renovate my house soon, and I am looking for reputable contractors. There are so many offers, and I try to ask everyone I know whether they can recommend some good guys that are going to it the right way. Next week, Mortgage Broker Hull will help me get a good loan, and I will start the renovation process by buying all the necessary materials. I need to do everything really fast, so I get this all done by the first cold days. There is a lot of work, but I hope we will manage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts