Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This install presented some challenges as I have 2 peaks - 1 was completed 5-7 years ago with heritage shingles, the other peak I did with the help of a professional roofers son. In his defense he stated that he only done 2 metal roofs in the past. (I thought many more when I hired him, but still had more knowledge of the subject than I).

He didn't know how to install the valley connecting the metal to the shingle roof. I knew this was a predicament at the beginning, and I had no idea how to make this happen. He called his father to ask his suggestion.
The predicament being his father suggested to lay down new W valley (there was an existing valley that remained underneath), but to lay the new valley over the top of the heritage shingles. And then secure with a nail at the top and bottom and calk the entire edge down to the shingles.

In the end that may work, but I have a feeling at some point the calk will separate or fail in some manor, and then because of the way this is done my insurance company would not cover the damage.

Can anyone verify my thinking? I'm guessing I need to crawl back up there and redo the heritage shingles so they lay over the top of the w valley.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This install presented some challenges as I have 2 peaks - 1 was completed 5-7 years ago with heritage shingles, the other peak I did with the help of a professional roofers son. In his defense he stated that he only done 2 metal roofs in the past. (I thought many more when I hired him, but still had more knowledge of the subject than I).

He didn't know how to install the valley connecting the metal to the shingle roof. I knew this was a predicament at the beginning, and I had no idea how to make this happen. He called his father to ask his suggestion roofing service area in Bethesda, MD.
The predicament being his father suggested to lay down new W valley (there was an existing valley that remained underneath), but to lay the new valley over the top of the heritage shingles. And then secure with a nail at the top and bottom and calk the entire edge down to the shingles.

In the end that may work, but I have a feeling at some point the calk will separate or fail in some manor, and then because of the way this is done my insurance company would not cover the damage.

Can anyone verify my thinking? I'm guessing I need to crawl back up there and redo the heritage shingles so they lay over the top of the w valley.
thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
Roofing
24 Posts
What you're describing leads me to believe you have a metal roof tied into a shingle roof at a valley. Not sure why anyone would use two different roofing systems on their home/building, especially at the valley. But if this is the case then what needs to be done is the the valley needs to be re-shingled so that the shingles go over the metal valley on the side that they are on. This is the only example picture I could find:

Building Wood Fixture Rectangle Window

1 - 4 of 4 Posts