Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a house for sale that has a flat top roof. I don't know anything about these types so that is my biggest hesitation for this purchase. I haven't been up there yet so I don't know what it looks like or where the water goes or anything like that. I can't even tell if this kind of house has an attic? It looks like if it did, it wouldn't be large enough to even move around.
Can you tell anything by these pictures? Is the roof even with the top of the shingle line or is it recessed a couple feet or what.
I will have the hosue inspected before buying, but should I have a roofer look at it too? Anything else I should look at for these types of roofs?

Thanks

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
You may want to post at the do it yourself forum if you intend to take on any of this kind of work.

Find a roofer who does FHA certifications and pay him his few hundred bucks to assess your roof. If a license is required, make sure the roofer is fully licensed and insured with both general liability and workmans compensation.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The images are quite small, but as Grumpy stated, you can also check out www.DIYchatroom.com and post more questions there in the Roofing Sub-Forum.

Without seeing photos of the roof, comments would be off target.

But, mansard roofs require additional ventilation and you are correct about the attic space as it will be lower than a standard attic area.

Find out if the roofs are black and absorb the heat, or coated white to deflect the suns uv rays please.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.