Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added a roof onto a pre-existing deck. Customer wanted metal on new roof instead of shingles to match the rest of house. I butted metal to house facia 1/2 inch below shingles. I installed metal flashing over seam, 3 inches under shingles and 5 over new metal. Glued shingles to flashing with generous dose of black jack. Screwed flashing to metal on the ridges at facia and at outer edge. Covered screws at facia with black jack. Filled voids between ridges in metal under flashing with Great Stuff foam. Roof leaks where metal meets house and runs down facia from one end to the other. Someone help me. I dont know what else to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 "skilled roofers" have looked at it in the last week and said i have done everything just as they would have. They had no more ideas. That is why I logged on here. I thought i would get good advice from people in the same field. If your only advice is to hire someone else, you can keep it to yourself and quit wasting my time. By the way, I fixed the leak this morning.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
This thread needs pics. I for one would never dare dream of using great stuff or roof cement on a new roof, nor have I ever seen a spec calling for great stuff or roof cement at a tie-in.

Best thing to do is contact the manufacturer of the metal panels you installed and ask them for a detail on the tie in, should have done that in the first place.

By the way, how do you know you fixed it? Has it rained since this morning? What did you do to fix it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
2 "skilled roofers" have looked at it in the last week and said i have done everything just as they would have. They had no more ideas. That is why I logged on here. I thought i would get good advice from people in the same field. If your only advice is to hire someone else, you can keep it to yourself and quit wasting my time. By the way, I fixed the leak this morning.

"2 skilled roofers" huh?

Is that why you come on the world wide intertube looking for answers?

So how did you fix it?

Please don't tell us you used another tube of "black jack".

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
There can be many reasons for a leak. Leaks can be the result of poor roof system installation, mechanical damage such as dropped screwdrivers or knives, plugged roof drains, roofing material failure, HVAC problems; the list goes on. It can also be caused by inadequate maintenance. What is mistaken for a roof leak can sometimes be a problem with the plumbing, especially with commercial buildings because fire sprinkler lines usually run along the attic space. This is often identified by a leak occurring when it isn’t raining.
A leaky roof does not always require a completely new roof, but it will take a professional to make that determination. When the proper safety precautions are taken, and when you have the right tools, you can fix your own roof. However, some leaks may require professional assistance, and it may be cheaper in the long run to have someone do it for you. Additionally, roofing is a specialized skill and installation can be dangerous -- not a project recommended for the do-it-yourselfer. While you may feel overwhelmed by a leaky, damaged roof, using a roofing contractor for a properly finished job using quality, lasting materials will provide assurance that your home will be safe, sound and dry for years to come.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Black Jack should not be used to permanently stop a leak on any roof ! That would only be done on a quick fix t'il you have time to repair that situation. Pictures would definetly help to see the problem . Perhaps if your saying that the flashing was inspected and installed right, your problem could be coming for a higher part of the roof and running down underneath the new flashing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.