Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions

I like the look of leaded copper gutters.. I know the cost is very pricey.. but it seems they are very hard to find here in chicago.. is it envirnomental concerns driving these out..?
originally, I wanted to install galvanized zinc but i was told that the chemical in the fire retardent will stain/wear out the gutters.. they will not warranty them in any way.

so that has lead me to Leaded copper. Are these on the way out?

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
Leaded copper is a great product but is restrictive only due to the price. I personally dislike the look, but it doesn't matter what I like, so long as my customer likes it. I have never seen leaded rolls for gutter machines however, but anything can be custom bent in 10-12' sections. Call Chris Industries or Windy City Metal Fabricators. Infact I believe Windy City has a 20' brake table and can do custom gutters in 20' lenghts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just in chris industries last week.. he said he cannot sell because of liability reasons.
thanks for the tip on windy city

tr

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the chris industries in northbrook.. The guy said of health reasons( lead ).
adding lead in soil?
he said the risk of a dumbass lawsuit is not worth it.

·
Roofing Expert
353 Posts
Hey what a great site that is Ed, i love the look of the copper hoppers (leaders)
Cant say i've seen much of copper guttering over here only on high end jobs.
We use plastic guttering over here but then again we dont usually get the snow you guys get, only rain and alot of it!
Never heard of leaded copper either but nice look to it but i have always like the look of lead.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
755 Posts
Rain Trade will ship 20 foot sections, but you can pick up longer lengths yourself direct.

It takes a lot of soldering work out of the job if you get all exact lengths for your job order and the prices were fantastic compared to what you can charge for copper 1/2 rounds.

Ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oxidizing leaded copper questions

thanks for the correspoondence.

leaded copper is the same as lead coated copper same as soldered copper.right?
copper will fade brown in 5-10 years then to green depending on exposure.

leaded copper looks galvanized going up but then turns a darker gray as time goes on... then almost semi blackishgray.
will the leaded ever turn green.. i was looking at a historic building with what looked like leaded gutters... (definitely not copper )the gutters were very grayish black but there was a hint of that copper green peaking thru...was that the leaded finally oxidizing out after 100 yrs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ed, gutter supply/raintrade said the same thing as chris industries..not selling then anymore for bs reasons... have a feeling because i do not have a go to person there... i cannot get a straight answer.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ed, gutter supply/raintrade said the same thing as chris industries..not selling then anymore for bs reasons... have a feeling because i do not have a go to person there... i cannot get a straight answer.
I am not sure, but you can check out Weber Metals in Libertyville, on Rt. 176, and speak with the owner, Joe Woldhuis.

Ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
grumpy..
I am a small time carpenter/general contractor....also a Subcontracted project manager for a bigger general..but he dried up

Ed..i will check out weber

thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are, in fact, phasing out the lead coated gutters. They are still available in 10 ft. sections. They are no longer being roll formed through machinery. They are being made on an auto brake....thus the 10 ft. sections. We can do half round and k profiles as well as round and rectangular downspouts. Freedom Gray, from Revere, was made to replace the need for a life long copper product with a gray finish. Accessories in the Freedom Gray products are becoming more and more available.
Spanjo - GutterSupply

1 - 17 of 17 Posts