Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Homeowner here. I just had my roof redone and asked if there was anyway to close up these gaps between the fascia and lower roof and soffit and roof due to bat intrusion in the past. Before the roofing job a bat remediation company had put some wire mesh in place. That mesh can put when they were replacing plywood.

The roofers put a piece of cobra ridge vent between the soffit and lower roof deck and also a piece of aluminum flashing right behind the fascia then caulked everything up. The flashing was added after all the shingles were up so it’s wedged between the fascia and the board behind the fascia and bends inward toward the wall sitting on top of the shingles.

The first photo shows the area from the outside.

The second/third photo shows the gaps from the inside before any caulk or flashing.

The fourth shows the inside with cobra ridge vent jammed in.

the last photos are of the outside

is this repair okay? Do you guys think I’ll have any issues with leaks or water building up behind that sealed area where the soffit and roof meet?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
426 Posts
Looks ok to me, would have used white step flashing on the outside of the fascia, tall enough to slip under the drip edge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks ok to me, would have used white step flashing on the outside of the fascia, tall enough to slip under the drip edge.
Yeah that would have been better. Do you think that caulked area where the soffit meets the roof is bad? I’m concerned that if water somehow gets behind it it has no where to escape now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How likely is that?

Do you think I should ask the roofer to remove the caulk and cobra vent under the soffit where it meets the roof? Would that destroy the shingles since that roofing caulk has probably cured since put up a few days ago?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts