Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I just got a call today from a website company pitching me a website for 2000$ and 500$ a month for SEO. I know a lot of my buddies have a website for their businesses but I'm 53, I've made my business from word of mouth and I just don't see how it could be worth 8000$ a year. i wouldn't mind being on google, but does anyone have any experience thoughts on the subject? Has a website worked for you?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've made my business from word of mouth and I just don't see how it could be worth 8000$ a year.
You ask a good question and the best answer is - it depends. At 53 you may be close to retiring (in the next 10 years or so) but the primary factor is control. As in your control over your destiny.

If all of your work is word of mouth - it's hard to find a buyer every day in an area you work and at a price you can deliver.

Without a solid presence online, you may even lose business that's referred to you because homeowners are looking you up to see what your other customers say before calling you.

Also, there are homeowners every day that contract for a new roof but if they can't find you (online) then it's safe to say you're not an option to them.

So is it worth it? Well, $8K might seem like a lot but in most markets its equal to one decent roof replacement. The profit from 3 average sales in the first year means you're ahead.

Now a word of caution. High-quality web firms are NOT cold-calling offices like yours to sell websites. But all of the companies that offer average to poor results have guys on the phone all day every day. Do your homework before buying a website from anyone.

Finally, what do they mean when they offer you "SEO"? It's a buzz word with lots of meanings but it's also a trap for the inexperienced. Many a roofer has been burned hiring guys offering SEO. Make them define what they do in the short, medium and long-term in working with you and what your results should be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's difficult to have someone else do SEO for you

I am the web developer for https://roofvents.com/ so I thought I should add my perspective on the distinction between having a website for your business, and using "Search Engine Optimization" techniques to actively move that site up to the top of the first page on Google searches...

Everyone should have some presence online. There are many options to put together a simple web page, register a domain to point to it that is easily identifiable as your business, and point to it from your social networking pages. If you can write a MS word document, you can create a web site on Wix, Squarespace, or wordpress.com. Think of it as a cross between a billboard, and a business card. It is useful to have, so when you get a call from a word-of-mouth referral or someone who saw the phone number on your truck, you can point them at the site and they'll get the intro to what you do and where you do it.

SEO is about finding a useful place to put the billboard. Sure, it's easy to put up the billboard up on that little dead-end road down the street, but no one will every see it. You want your billboard up next to the interstate, right by the bridge that goes downtown to the biggest city in your area where everyone is stuck in traffic twice a day. That's not as easy, and not cheap if you hire someone to do it.

The problem with hiring someone to do SEO for you is that they don't know your business. SEO is about the words people use to search for you. You know what those words are, your "SEO Expert" doesn't. So if you're going to have any sort of web presence, you may as well use words on your site that will get you found by people who need what you do, in your local area. Hiring someone to "do SEO" for your web site means hiring someone to write your website. Write pages, write blogs, encourage linking to your site (if they ask you to PAY for links, RUN AWAY!) and create a structure for your site that is optimized for keywords that people are searching for. Any way you look at it, and regardless of how much money you pay them, it will TAKE YOUR TIME to explain to them what you do, how it is described, other ways of putting it, and the kinds of questions you answer every day.

So my advice is, do the web site yourself, and write a blog every week about something that you do. How do you know what to write? Search for a roofer on Google. Search for a roofer on Bing. What sites come up in the "organic" searches 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Look at those sites. Look at the words they use. Note how easy the site is to use. To have your site rank in the same ballpark, you should be using many of those same words.

Google changes the game constantly. SEOs don't know your business, but they tend to learn tricks. But the tricks that worked on the web 5 years ago no longer worked 3 years ago. What worked 2 years ago didn't work anymore last year, and what worked six months may have been changed already. Google has advice about this. Forget about tricks. MAKE YOUR WEBSITE USEFUL TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. Even as SEOs figure out how Google's computer algorithms work, Google is using their most sophisticated Artificial Intelligence to understand what customers actually need. So skip the middleman, save $500/week, and write honestly about what you do on a simple web page, every week.

I hope this helps.

Useful links (No affiliation):

https://neilpatel.com/blog/10-most-important-seo-tips-you-need-to-know/

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/101-quick-seo-tips/180563/

https://ahrefs.com/blog/seo-tips/

https://goinswriter.com/website-seo-tips/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe a website is well worth the investment! Our website generates roughly 20 new leads a month for us. We are able to close around 70 percent of the leads that come in through our site and google.

I would say at your age it can be a good thing even if you think of retiring soon. When you get to that point you can always hand the business off to someone else or sell it. In that case, the new owners could take over the new business and all things that go with it.

Your site doesn't have to be pretty at all check out our site. Abilene Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling It's not pretty at all but it produces the work that we need to make a living. Our site is simple and easy to build; you could do something pretty similar to it.

When it all comes down to it though, its all about how comfortable you are now and if you are wanting to make any changes and possibly grow. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Contractor
13 Posts
Hey all,

I just got a call today from a website company pitching me a website for 2000$ and 500$ a month for SEO. I know a lot of my buddies have a website for their businesses but I'm 53, I've made my business from word of mouth and I just don't see how it could be worth 8000$ a year. i wouldn't mind being on google, but does anyone have any experience thoughts on the subject? Has a website worked for you?
[/QUOTE]

Our roofing company primarily worked on referrals and through services like Home Advisor for the first few years. We still get plenty of referrals, but we shifted our focus away from pay-per-lead services and more toward website/seo investment in year 3. As long as you choose the right partner, SEO is worth it. It's worked well for us.

Look at it as an investment in your business because you're not really paying someone for SEO. You're paying them for the result of it. You're paying for someone to use their expertise to get your business in front of more customers who need your service. I researched the pricing before we started, so I know $500 is on the low-end regardless of where you are in the country. At that price, generating just a couple jobs pays for the entire year. And, if they're doing it right, you'll certainly close much more than couple jobs in 12 months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As long as you choose the right partner, SEO is worth it. It's worked well for us.

I know $500 is on the low-end regardless of where you are in the country. At that price, generating just a couple jobs pays for the entire year. And, if they're doing it right, you'll certainly close much more than couple jobs in 12 months.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Janis is 100% correct. I've had partner/clients who've had ROI far in excess of the investment. One was positioned so well in DFW in 2016 (was ranking #1 for Dallas Roof Leak Repair) that when the hail storm came in late March, they got 1000 calls in 36 hours.

Their investment in SEO was indeed fair (about $28K) but sales from the campaign were easily in the $2.6M range. Almost 100-1, so pretty good.

·
Contractor
13 Posts
Good point. I was involved as I could be in choosing what keywords we target because I've seen how important it is. But beyond that, I let the pros do their thing. I would rather pay someone to handle it than attempt to learn it. My time is better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your website has a form at the top that you capture the customers's info, good job.

My suggestion would be to get a video to put on the left side of that form to get more people to call you right away.

My video guy can supply that for you at a very low price.

Let me know if you want me to have him email you some info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea it's been worth it 100% in my case. Granted I'm not 53 but if there's room for more work because you're ambitious or worried about having enough time to retire, then having a presence online and Google is key. My guy built my handyman site for $1,200 and that was with some kind of SEO on the site. I also pay monthly for SEO but I was quoted based on the competition of my market so it would depend how competitive it is. I even have him spending his own money doing the marketing online and I just pay him per lead so have more work than I can take but I've learned to outsource what I can't handle. At the very least, you should have a basic site, then at least you have somewhere with a phone number if you want to run some ads on Google which a good online guy will do. I went with an SEO company up in Canada so prob why not charging too much. Hate to admit it but the guy's definitely earned his keep. Yellow pages is dead sadly. Google keeps the phone ringing!

·
Registered
Custom Metal Building Construction - Workshops, Barns, Barndominiums, Agricultural Storage, etc.
1 Posts
We get some action off our website but we get more direct calls from our google business profile. That and word of mouth has been the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts