Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
What can you add on to a Roofing job to make it bigger?

I wonder how much more money we could make if we were prepared to add more on to the sale?

Some of this stuff I’m prepared to sell but I could probably do more to increase the size of the average transaction.

Gutters
Leaf Guards
Steel Valleys
Copper Valleys
Insulation
Fascia & Soffit
Chimney Repairs
Vinyl Siding
Sun Tunnel
Skylight

·
Registered
755 Posts
Don't forget the obvious shingle upgrades. Solar fan upgrades hit pretty well for me last year.
I never used one of those Solar PAV's. How much do they cost and which brand and cfm do you use most?

Do you tack on any more than $ 100.00 to install one?

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
Ed I try to make $100 gross profit on a fan installation (if we are doing it with the roof), I'll typically pay the subs $25 to R&R a fan. If I recall a solar fan from Home Depot, which is GAF, was $197. However the SAME fan at any supplier would cost at least $350. LOL I bet they just pick them up from Home Depot. I think it's a 550 CFM fan, off the top of my head.

Last year we bought every solar fan available in our area from the Home Depots. I think 5 in one week. When ever I see a attic fan I try to promote solar. We don't do electrical since we are not licensed nor insured for electrical, therefore I drop the little hint that any ROOFER willing to make the electrical connection is not a qualified electrician and could burn the house down and is also breaking the law. It gets there wheels turning when I put it like that.

I also explain that a qualified and licensed electrician would have to charge $300 just to come make the electrical connection that we legally can not make, and that by installing the solar fan they are really saving $200 upfront and hundreds more over the life of the fan.

I then go on to say that the solar fans do require about $100 more upfront investment, however there is never any electricity being used... and while a hard wired attic fan turns on and off and on and off, the solar fan is ALWAYS on when the sun is shining.

Lastly I also say, "I'm willing to bet nobody else brought this up, did they?" setting myself apart and putting me on top of the pile of competitors, planing the seed of doubt. Also mentioning alot of guys will install the fan, but not make the connection, and not tell you and then all you have is a large expensive mushroom vent on the roof.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solar power vent

Ed I try to make $100 gross profit on a fan installation (if we are doing it with the roof), I'll typically pay the subs $25 to R&R a fan. If I recall a solar fan from Home Depot, which is GAF, was $197. However the SAME fan at any supplier would cost at least $350. LOL I bet they just pick them up from Home Depot. I think it's a 550 CFM fan, off the top of my head.

Last year we bought every solar fan available in our area from the Home Depots. I think 5 in one week. When ever I see a attic fan I try to promote solar. We don't do electrical since we are not licensed nor insured for electrical, therefore I drop the little hint that any ROOFER willing to make the electrical connection is not a qualified electrician and could burn the house down and is also breaking the law. It gets there wheels turning when I put it like that.

I also explain that a qualified and licensed electrician would have to charge $300 just to come make the electrical connection that we legally can not make, and that by installing the solar fan they are really saving $200 upfront and hundreds more over the life of the fan.

I then go on to say that the solar fans do require about $100 more upfront investment, however there is never any electricity being used... and while a hard wired attic fan turns on and off and on and off, the solar fan is ALWAYS on when the sun is shining.

Lastly I also say, "I'm willing to bet nobody else brought this up, did they?" setting myself apart and putting me on top of the pile of competitors, planing the seed of doubt. Also mentioning alot of guys will install the fan, but not make the connection, and not tell you and then all you have is a large expensive mushroom vent on the roof.
I am not very comfortable relying on a solar powered vent because the warranty is only for 5 years. IF you are counting on that motor to properly vent the attic what happens when it wears out?

I would feel comfortable using it on a garage because there isn’t much humidity in there.

Last year I offered a free solar powered vent as a special offer in a mailing that I sent out as a follow up to unsold leads. IT did not generate any interest.

The material cost is about $121 for a power vent by Lamanco and about $410 for a solar powered vent made by AirVent.

I don’t go shopping at Home Depot very often so I don’t know what is available.

As far as electrical work goes you should not even be disconnecting an old power vent even if you are installing a solar power vent. What are you gong to do hire an electrician just to come out and remove an old vent?

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many shinlge options?

Don't forget the obvious shingle upgrades. Solar fan upgrades hit pretty well for me last year.
How many shingle options do calculate a price for prior to going in for the presentation?

Typically I figure a price for a 30 year and a lifetime shingle, however I would like to start figuring a price for something high end like synthetic slate, but I have not yet made it part of my routine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been gathering some info on a "green" line of products. I reciaved a smaple pack on enviroshakes. www.enviroshake.com these are beautiful.. i would like to fine a recycled shingle that wouldent be too much to have drop shipped.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to Home Depot today and they have the solar vent by GAF for $197 that’s about $210 less than what it would cost to by one from my supplier made by AirVent.

They had electric ones for around $87 compared to $120 from my supplier.

Maybe I should price everything from Home Depot or Lowes; I could probably get better prices.

The funny thing about it is my suppliers deliver for them; I wonder what kind of discount they are giving to Home Depot or Lowes.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shinglevent

Same here Jack. Supplier tried to charge me almost $16 per for shingleventII. And that was for pallet orders. I went to Lowes and it was $9.99.

I found that they like to screw people on the accesories
We are only paying 8.1 for shinlgevent here.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Was that Shingle Vent II at Lowes or Cobra Snow Country, which is almost identical to it?

I am being raped, errr, I mean charged about $12.00 per pice of SV II.

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chimney repairs

I found a chimney repair guy to repair chimney caps for me.

Typically he removes the cracked cap and 1 row of brick and installs a new cap 5” thick made out of fiber reinforced concrete.

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
I found a chimney repair guy to repair chimney caps for me.

Typically he removes the cracked cap and 1 row of brick and installs a new cap 5” thick made out of fiber reinforced concrete.
He extended the crown with an overhang for the splash, but it doesn't look like he sloped the top for drainage to the sides to shed the water off though.

At least he used forms to build it out though.

I hate it when the Lazy ones just use 2" x 4"s or 6"s and make them flush to the brick work.

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He extended the crown with an overhang for the splash, but it doesn't look like he sloped the top for drainage to the sides to shed the water off though.

At least he used forms to build it out though.

I hate it when the Lazy ones just use 2" x 4"s or 6"s and make them flush to the brick work.

Ed

You've got a good eye Ed.

He puts a slight slope on top but you can't see it in that photo.

I think this guy really knows what he is doing. He just did a job for me that required building scaffolding on a 10:12 pitch roof.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I may have mentioned it before, but we don't cut in new chimney flashing we tear the chimney down to the roof and re-build, well my Mason does for about $1,000 add on, one was $1,400 but that was quite tall. A lot of us still burn wood and chimney section above roofline gets pretty bad. I feel better having it done right.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trim & Soffit

I am thinking about offering aluminum trim and vented soffit as an add-on option.

It would benefit homeowners that do not have adequate soffit vents and it would eliminate the need to paint the trim and soffit.

Sometimes I run into houses that have new vinyl soffit but not enough vents in that case it would need to be replaced or some type of eave edge vent would have to be installed.

Have you had any success offering trim & soffit as an add-on?

Do you feel it is worth the time that it would take to figure out the price for trim and soffit?

The only obstacle is coming up with a quick and easy way to estimate the trim and soffit.

Also I would have to determine if I want to offer it as a way to add intake venting only or offer to cover the trim on the gable ends also. If the owner only wanted to improve the intake vents then I would have to be able to give them a break down.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
The easiest way I found to qoute the fascia, soffit, gutter add on is. Figure out what my material cost by the foot and Ive figured out how long it takes my men to install it by the foot. So I can price everything by the foot. Since Ive already measured the perimenter for my roof edge and starters I already have the measurements. Just punch them into the spread sheet and fill in the numbers on the pre made proposal sheets under optional upgrades. One thing to remember check for 16" or 24" overhangs and height of fascia.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts