Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grumpy,

Did Heidi invite you to the Sales Seminar this coming Wednesday, starting at 9:00 am through 4:00 pm at the Renaissance Hotel, (I Think), in Schaumburg, this coming Wednesday, April 15th?

I just found aut about it yesterday early in the morning.

I am taking my Estimator Trainee, who is getting the handle of my way pretty well so far and has no problems with my pricing structure and square footage calculation methods.

I want him to get pumped up from a sales instructor on how to overcome objections and it couldn't hurt me for a refresher course too.

It is free, but she had to RSVP by yesterday at noon, but you know there are always ways around that.

By the way, I was not in the office yesterday, so your thing will be faxed over today for sure. I did download the attachment.

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
I'll be in attendance on Wednesday with myself and my repair man who also runs estimates.

I really want my repair guy to get pumped up also. Since he has no estimating bad habits I have a blank slate to turn him into the estimator I want him to be. I really wish I broguht him to the certainteed round table seminar, that really pumped me up big time to maximize my profit and RAISE my prices. I am hoping the IKO does the same.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my guy Mike has the same Blank Slate to start off from too, so he is not prejudiced about the pricing levels and has heard me from day one about how quality and being detail oriented provides so much more to the customer than a low priced hack bid.

He was at the Air Vent seminar, but had to sit at a single chair with another guy since all of the tables were full.

Do you pay your guys per hour when you take them to seminars? I do.

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
I tell them to invest in their career. I tell them it is optional, but highly encouraged. If they don't go, I know they are not serious about self improvement. They are not serious about their career.

Who is paying me to be there? I am, down the road, when the eduation pays off.

"Invest in your career" is something anyone who works for me hears me saying weekly. I guess you can say it's one of my mantras.

It's like my production manager told me, when he got into single ply many years ago. The company he was working for had a manufacturer into their shop on a Saturday. All of the roofers were invited to attend, and they probably had 50+ roofers. Within a year the company had sold all their hot equipment and went completely to single ply. Guess who was out of a job when the hot stuff got sold? Those who did not want to invest in their career got left behind in the dust. Those who ahd the attitude that they aren't getting paid for the day so theya re going to stay home, got to stay home for an extended period of time. He didn't get paid for his day but was employed for years and years from that day forward by the same company installing acers and acers of roofing, all because of that one pinnacle day.

See the point here is that I guess you can say that I am payign them just not in monetary returns. I am payign them in an education which is worth more than a few dollars anyways. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for life. Invest in your career.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts