Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do, or what will you offer as additional incentives for that once in a while job, that you really, really want to get for your company?

Do you offer a better discount?

Do you arrange preferential payment terms?

Do you throw in some extras for free?

Remember, this is the ONE that you really want to get.

Also, what type of job would fal into that category for you and why?

Ed

·
Slate and Metal Roofer
435 Posts
Well, I've had 2 calls from one I really want. A major historic reno, about $1/3M. They've called twice. I said I would think about calling them back.

It's only been a few weeks, so I'll wait and see if they call me again.:D

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
If I really really want it, I call the supplier and get special pricing. I call the installation sub and ask him if he's willing to give me a deal. I run a custom quote based on the special pricing and adjust my sales commission which is currently 11%. I don't actually pay myself a sales commission, just a salary, although I do charge the customer for it. The sales commission gets absorbed back into the company for growth etc... I never actually tweak my margin of profit which the company NEEDS. Grey area, I know.

99% of jobs I run a material list through my spreadsheet and Bam that's the price plus 10%. 5% is for negotiations and 5% for margin of error on making the original material list.

This would be for a church or factory or job of this nature, maybe something historic or high profile which would look great on a resume and will get me MORE work. I normally do not give money away as an incentive to buy. I beleive that to be a silly habit to get into. I think people buy us for what we offer, definetly not what we charge. I do also believe that every job is different and should be priced accordingly. If I really really I mean really want the job what I really do is write up a free inspection report which I typically will charge $450 to do. It's a several page document clod full of photos explaining what is wrong with the roof and recomendations to fix it. I have had customers tell me this is often the reason why they have hired me. I will also add some fluff into my proposals to make it appear as if we are doing more, as if it really needs it.

So when I really really want a job I don't usually lower my profit, though I may lower my price by having others (supplier and sub) lower their profit. I prefer to get jobs through higher quality and professionalism, not lower price. I'll do something to set myself apart from the compitition not cut my throat just like the compitition.

I would also like to add that inversely if I know a job is going to be a dog of a job I call the installation sub and ask him how much MORE he will want. What's fair is fair. If I beat him up from time to time, I allow him to beat me up too. After all our price list is based on the average job, and there would be no reason why I'd ask him to discount the average job.

·
Expert Roofer
134 Posts
treat them well all the time,and they want to work harder for you,if you do it once in a while,they can be resentful when they`re not in that situation,or 1 crew can be jealous of the ones that get that situation

1 - 5 of 5 Posts