Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roof has lifted off the rafter on the gable side. The gap above the rafter is too large (about 1/2") to simply seal with caulk. Plant Grass Slope Font Electric blue Sky Plant Water Cloud Tree Looking for the best way to fix/repair/cover this preferably to code. For whatever reason the last roofer left a gap of over an inch between the drip edge and the rafter/fascia so it's quite visible from below on both sides of the rafter/fascia.

·
Super Moderator
519 Posts
Your sheathing projects an inch past that rafter, the roofer put the drip edge (correctly) against that. To fix the gap, carefully lift the shingle tab and run screws through into the rafter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your response, which kind of screw would you recommend? I'm a gutter installer by trade but my experience with roofing is limited to not putting any extra holes into it 😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I believe something like a 1x2 is often installed on the outside of the rafter to bridge the gap between the rafter and the drip edge? Is this correct in your experience?

·
Super Moderator
519 Posts
Thank you very much for your response, which kind of screw would you recommend? I'm a gutter installer by trade but my experience with roofing is limited to not putting any extra holes into it 😁
3 in bugle head (drywall) screw, have a tube of roof cement handy to re-seal the tabs.

·
Super Moderator
519 Posts
Also, I believe something like a 1x2 is often installed on the outside of the rafter to bridge the gap between the rafter and the drip edge? Is this correct in your experience?
Quite common, would dress up the appearance too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts