Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Not a contractor, but I'm hoping to tap roofing experts' knowledge, now that I'm having to buy a new one.

Background: I live in Long Beach, California, in a 94-year-old bungalow that's mostly flat roof with torchdown cap sheet, plus some low-slope tile with tarpaper underlayment. Current roof is about 13 years old and leaks -- I just had a lot of interior damage repaired.

I've had four roofers out to look at the house. One recommends a coating and says the cap sheet is sound enough for it to adhere. The others all dismiss coating. Two of them swear by Boral tile seal and Polyglass G cap sheet underlayment. One of the others says the underlayments and cap sheets are all about the same because they all have to meet code spex, and what I need to make sure of is having the correct weight/thickness. What is the correct weight/thickness for the various layers? I don't know if my city has any code quirks about roofing thickness, but let's assume not.

The guy who likes coating says he does lots of commercial buildings with it and I might get 20 years out of it. The others all say 5-6 maybe. Who's right?

And regarding the materials construction, is there a difference between the various manufacturers' products of the same weight/thickness? If yes, who has the best stuff?

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place; if so, point me to the right one. Thanks much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a couple weeks old but it still may help. I love the modern day coatings especially 100% silicone like ASC - S. Stuff is fantastic and may very well last 20 years. You didnt make your leak problem clear though as far as is it the low slope tile section or your cap sheet roof that leaks?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts