Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking to do some work with PVC to build a special application product. I'm wondering which brand hand-held hot air welder is a good value?

And what kind of adhesive would work well with PVC on cast iron or steel?

Thanks

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
Leister definetly is the most popular.

To the best of my knowledge application of membrane directly to a metal substrate is not a warranted application. Having said that we obviously adhere membrane to metal flashings all the time. For these applciations, we use bonding adhesive. http://www.versico.com/documents/reslib/08-VFC1B-OPT2.pdf

I think you may have misrepresented yourself. If I recall in the beginning you said you were an engineer coming up with a spec for a customer. Now you say you are an inventor... Hmmm. Not cool, man. Or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Don't even bother with the other brands of Hot Air Welders.

Leister is the best and most durable.

I have tried at least 4 other popular brands of hand welders and they all fall way short, unless you are only going to do one job with them.

Ed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leister definetly is the most popular.

To the best of my knowledge application of membrane directly to a metal substrate is not a warranted application. Having said that we obviously adhere membrane to metal flashings all the time. For these applciations, we use bonding adhesive. http://www.versico.com/documents/reslib/08-VFC1B-OPT2.pdf

I think you may have misrepresented yourself. If I recall in the beginning you said you were an engineer coming up with a spec for a customer. Now you say you are an inventor... Hmmm. Not cool, man. Or am I mistaken?
Yes true on both counts. But I would hardly call this an invention. I need something to perform a certain task and I think a roofer would be the perfect one to build the prototype since the materials that roofers commonly use seem well fitted to the task. Let me ask you...how is the PVC welded to flashing, ie. the "clad" metal flashing? Is it adhered or welded somehow? I'm guessing adhered but that's just a guess.

thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
Many/Most of the manufacturers offer a sheet metal that has a PVC skin cladding adhered to it, which is either offered already pre-bent for various flashing styles or sold as sheet goods to custom fabricate.

If the manufacturer offers it, it would be a warranted procedure.

Alternatively, their are dual cleat and snap on cover flashings for roof edge terminations such as gravel stops and coping caps.

If none of those, the the flashings get secured with termination bars approved by that particular manufacturer.

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
Yes true on both counts. But I would hardly call this an invention. I need something to perform a certain task and I think a roofer would be the perfect one to build the prototype since the materials that roofers commonly use seem well fitted to the task. Let me ask you...how is the PVC welded to flashing, ie. the "clad" metal flashing? Is it adhered or welded somehow? I'm guessing adhered but that's just a guess.

thanks
If it's clad metal it's welded. If it's bare or painted metal it'd adhered with manufacturer's suggested bonding adhesive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's clad metal it's welded. If it's bare or painted metal it'd adhered with manufacturer's suggested bonding adhesive.
So if I wanted to build this prototype from scratch, I'd need some adhesive to bond the pvc membrane to the metal, and then a hand torch to weld pvc to pvc. The adhesive is what?

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
Each pvc membrane manufacturer makes their own bonding adhesive. It's a 2 sided contact cement type product, where you apply it to the bottom of the membrane and top of the substrate, allow it to cure for a few minutes until tacky then join the two surfaces together. That's a bond that will probably never break.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Each pvc membrane manufacturer makes their own bonding adhesive. It's a 2 sided contact cement type product, where you apply it to the bottom of the membrane and top of the substrate, allow it to cure for a few minutes until tacky then join the two surfaces together. That's a bond that will probably never break.
Is this adhesive something that you can buy from a supplier? Or is something only the mgfr carries? With all the stuff Sika makes, I have to wonder if they have something that would be close.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cheap hot air welder

does anybody know about these cheap welders. They are $90 on ebay and it says they get to the same temp and air flow as the $500 ones, does anybody have experience with these?

·
Registered
941 Posts
You get what you pay for with welders.

PVC has been around for along time. Now its all about the cool roof. Not a whole lot of savings vers a pvc and 3ply mop and gravel, depending on app. Yes insurance companys generally turn their nose up on torch downs, and some time mops downs too. Too bad, hard to beat a BUR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have experienced every single welder on the market for I am a hot air welder technician. Definately need to stay away from anything made in china. Trust me it is between the Leister Triac and BAK Rion. Both are made in Switzerland. I would definately go with the Rion that I sell because it is close to $100 dollars cheaper that the Triac. You get the same performance as the Leister and you get a 2-year warranty whereas Leister only comes with 1.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.