Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a quick question I have recently heard from another residential roofer. He told me that the shingles are applied and job is complete, it takes Owens Corning shingles 3-4 weeks to properly seal??? He said GAF seals immediately. This was on the 30 year dimensional. Which is a better quality and not just which one will make you a Platinum Certified Gold Member for pushing they're product. Is Owens truly a bit better quality and is the sealing deal a freakin' hoax??? Thanks folks!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just my opinion, but they should both seal in about the same amount of time, but if one were more tacky and sealed first, from past history, it would be the Owens Corning line of shingles, especially their new Duration style.

As long as you don't get any blow offs during the waiting time, it really shouldn't matter though, with the exception of a new construction area with a lot of dust that blows around, which might contaminate the space between the sealant and the shingle.

Ed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our guys really like the new Duration OCs. We sell mostly Duration Premiums, but they have reported the same with 30s. The Durations have a wider nail strip and added sealing strips compared to any other archs on the market. Smart shingle.

Never had any complaints with Timberlines either. They have always performed well.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
In a warm spring or fall day they'll usually seal the same day. in the summer they are sealing as you're laying them sometimes. In the winter you'll have to wait a few weeks or months for them to seal.

I've very liittle experience with GAF as I haven't installed them in years and even less experience with OC as I only have done their products a few times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ive used both and they seem to seal down fine. same day most of the time when its sunny. oh and certainteed expanded their nailing range too. no more having to hit the 2 little lines. lol

·
EH?
33 Posts
Our guys really like the new Duration OCs. We sell mostly Duration Premiums, but they have reported the same with 30s. The Durations have a wider nail strip and added sealing strips compared to any other archs on the market. Smart shingle.

Never had any complaints with Timberlines either. They have always performed well.
The Durations "sure nail" is a joke.If you nail where they tell you to ,you don't hit the double lam.Don't get me wrong,OC's are good,but just nail as low as you can.The only real wide nailing strip is the 'zone" by Malarkey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never experienced such a sealing problem. Our company has been roofing for 87 years, all brands over the years. Owens Corning Duration seems to work very well in my area of CT. Just had serious sustained 75 MPH wind & rain. Declared a Federal Disaster Area. Not 1 Owens Corning blow off. That's good enough for me.

·
Residential Roofer
227 Posts
The Durations "sure nail" is a joke.If you nail where they tell you to ,you don't hit the double lam.Don't get me wrong,OC's are good,but just nail as low as you can.The only real wide nailing strip is the 'zone" by Malarkey.
I guess I missed this post originally but since Rex re-opened it,
The purpose of the sure nail is to eliminate the need for fasteners to penetrate both portions of the shingle.
I have only installed them twice so far so guess I'll see in 10,20,30 years from now if it works out or not, just like with the "zone" all tho Malarkey is not sold here in my area that I know of so will wait and take your word on that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Owens Corning is the choice I would go with. My company has used GAF in the pass and we have had problems with them blowing of the roof tooo many times, which I had to put claims in for a couple of homes we shingled. from there on out we have used Owens Corning. not sure if GAF has changed the quality of their product or not

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have always liked the Elk Prestque line. Its what is used mostly in Ca. but since GAF bought them out its gone down hill. :thumbdown: They are thinner, less` flexable and more granual loss. It looks like all they retained from elk were the color charts and the name.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hoax

This is just a quick question I have recently heard from another residential roofer. He told me that the shingles are applied and job is complete, it takes Owens Corning shingles 3-4 weeks to properly seal??? He said GAF seals immediately. This was on the 30 year dimensional. Which is a better quality and not just which one will make you a Platinum Certified Gold Member for pushing they're product. Is Owens truly a bit better quality and is the sealing deal a freakin' hoax??? Thanks folks!!
I can' believe this is a serious comment. Hoax indeed. Sealing is dependent upon temperature. We have installed many different brands of shingles. Owens Corning has been one of the fastest sealing brands. With 6 nails per shingle it shouldn't even be an issue with any brand, with 4 nails per shingle it could be in cold temperatures. Shingles are stiffer in cold weather and could take some time to warm up settle down and seal (all brands other than modified bitumen shingles which are very flexible even in cold temperatures, but not widely manufactured or available). Owens Corning advertises 110 MPH wind resistance with only 4 nails per shingle on the Duration (30 year). Building code required 6 nails per shingle in coastal areas should even make it better. Most other brands require 6 nails per shingle, as well as seal down starters on rakes as well as eaves to increase their wind resistance from 70 MPH to 110 MPH in 30 year laminates.

·
Registered
48 Posts
GAF vs. OC

We install GAF/ELK Timberline as our #1 choice, but on 3 story building with no trees to block wind, we usually install OC Duration. We really like the Duration Designer Colors as well, but GAF is our choice for a normal 30YR shingle. Never had a problem with either.

BTW.....

I installed a Timberline roof on MY HOUSE 2 YEARS ago using 15# felt and NO Ice Guard in valleys or eaves and have never had a problem. Its the way the roof is installed IMO. We even cut the 15# felt in the middle of the valleys to get a nice, tight shingled valley, old school trick!

BUT.........On our jobs, we install ice guard and Titanium felt, just to cover ourselves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can' believe this is a serious comment. Hoax indeed. Sealing is dependent upon temperature. We have installed many different brands of shingles. Owens Corning has been one of the fastest sealing brands. With 6 nails per shingle it shouldn't even be an issue with any brand, with 4 nails per shingle it could be in cold temperatures. Shingles are stiffer in cold weather and could take some time to warm up settle down and seal (all brands other than modified bitumen shingles which are very flexible even in cold temperatures, but not widely manufactured or available). Owens Corning advertises 110 MPH wind resistance with only 4 nails per shingle on the Duration (30 year). Building code required 6 nails per shingle in coastal areas should even make it better. Most other brands require 6 nails per shingle, as well as seal down starters on rakes as well as eaves to increase their wind resistance from 70 MPH to 110 MPH in 30 year laminates.
Indeed.......

But We have installed almost every brand of 30yr dimensionals all year round with out a problem. We have shoveled snow off roofs in Jan and Feb to re-roof homes and NEVER had a call back with any shingle manufacturer, although we WONT use Tamko products. We 5-6 nail all shingles, all year, and in winter have them delivered warm.

·
EH?
33 Posts
The Durations have a wider nail strip and added sealing strips compared to any other archs on the market. Smart shingle.Quote FLflatRoof

I guess you have never used Malarkey's 'zone'

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.