Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys used that service that uses a satellite to estimate a roof? I think it’s called Eagleview.

How accurate is it?

Does it save you any time?

What are the benefits?

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
I wouldn't use it personally. Ok how many layers are there, can the eye in the sky tell me? How many pipes, white sizes? What condition is the decking? drip edge or not? What if something changed since the satellite photos were taken. Those images are often several years old.

I have considered it for re-measuring, since we remeasure every job but decided against it. It might work for some people, I can't see it working for us.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am testing out a free version, just to confirm my field measurements and to get a glance at the home before I go out to do the measure call.

Last nights example came up with 24 2/3rds squares. My field measurements were 24 1/3rd square.

But, by going there in person, I noted the 2 layers and missing gutter apron drip edge and rake edge drip edge and some loose aluminum fascia blown out from the wood fascia due to water and ice infiltration.

Now, if I had financing available, those home owners would have signed up last night, but the husband is seeking an advance from his employer on Monday and I may carry the final 1/3rd for 6 months, just to get the job signed.

Ed

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would still go up on the roof for an inspection and look in the attic.

I was thinking about trying to save time by making just one trip.

If I had the measurements I could do the estimate on my computer before leaving the office. Than after doing the onsite evaluation I could figure out prices for add-ons.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Is it common to carry money like 6 months? If so do you tack on any office charges?
Oh yeah, any issues with the charges?
I drew up my own Installment Payment Agreement after doing quite a bit of Legal Research on all of the necessary terms and conditions that needed to be considered.

I try not to use it, but if that is what it takes, then it can seal a deal instantly.

I charge 2% per month as the finance charge and am considering adding a $450.00 automatic Mechanics Lien Fee added in for anyone getting carried beyond 90 days, with the Lien to be filed around the 60 day point, just to secure the debt.

There is also a universal escalation clause, whereas, if one payment is late, the entire sum becomes due instantly. If that clause were not in there, then one month late, then another month is late and I would have to file to enforce the terms of the installment agreement each and every month.

Ed

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thank you, more information than I expected. I am still in the small town mode so I am yet to cross that road.
Going to need something for this website I am starting, the designer asked if I did financing or accepted credit cards. No call for it yet, but there is no telling if those guys that do offer are getting the calls and because I don't have it in any of my ads I may not even be getting the initial consideration.
Credit checks? Or do you get to size them up?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thank you, more information than I expected. I am still in the small town mode so I am yet to cross that road.
Going to need something for this website I am starting, the designer asked if I did financing or accepted credit cards. No call for it yet, but there is no telling if those guys that do offer are getting the calls and because I don't have it in any of my ads I may not even be getting the initial consideration.

Credit checks? Or do you get to size them up?
Most of the time this comes into play, is when the job Extra Change Orders are all completed, especially when there is a substantial amount of plywood decking that needed to be replaced.

I usually have a side bar optioned price based on the total square footage used, listed in the contract, but the original contract amount does not include that possibility, so the ending invoice could be very substantialy over the originally budgeted amount.

At that point, where would a credit check come in and help?

You already have the job for a certain amount of money and now you have the roof ripped open and sheathing needs to be replaced.

I just go by my gut Feelings at that point, but they have already signed the Update To Specifications Change Order form, so they are now liable for coming up with the funds.

Since they may not have them readily available, then make it worth your while to spread out the payments.

Ed

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eagleview

The report that I received from Eagleview was very accurate.

It was for a roof that I had recently completed so I knew how many shingles I used on the project.

They gave me a Premium report as a free sample. It included the square footage for each side.

The home was a 2 story hip roof with about 25 sides. The total square footage that they came up was exactly what I used to do the job. I took the valley measurements and multiplied it by 3 for waste. When I added that to the square footage that they gave me it came out to exactly what I used 46.66 squares.

I am impressed by the accuracy of the information that they provided.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
Yeah Will I have some questions. See my post above, but for your convenience I will copy and paste below...

Ok how many layers are there, can the eye in the sky tell me? How many pipes, white sizes? What condition is the decking? drip edge or not? What if something changed since the satellite photos were taken. Those images are often several years old.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah Will I have some questions. See my post above, but for your convenience I will copy and paste below...

Ok how many layers are there, can the eye in the sky tell me? How many pipes, white sizes? What condition is the decking? drip edge or not? What if something changed since the satellite photos were taken. Those images are often several years old.
You would still have to do an onsite evaluation to gather all the information that you need to make professional recommendations.

I don’t see how this service can help you unless the value of time that you save by having the measurements provided for you out weighs the cost.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I do like the concept and feel it will be the way that all of the younger contractors wind up estimating, but it is ONLY A TOOL.

The thing I like most about it, is the professional nearly CAD-Like drawn measurements.

The prices are getting resonable, so accept it when you can afford to use one of the vendors.

How would you like to be able to canvass a neighborhood and already have the homes diagram and measurements available if they were only 1-2 dollars per report?

Would you use them then?

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
You would still have to do an onsite evaluation to gather all the information that you need to make professional recommendations.

I don’t see how this service can help you unless the value of time that you save by having the measurements provided for you out weighs the cost.
So what's the point to this then if I still have to to an onsite evaluation? I mean it only takes what 15 minutes to measure, and another 10 to figure the math?

See my point?

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
How would you like to be able to canvass a neighborhood and already have the homes diagram and measurements available if they were only 1-2 dollars per report?

Would you use them then?

Ed
Ed if it were 1-2 dollars per report, I would buy whole neighborhoods and send out a mass mailing campaign. The original estimate would but just that, an estimate only, and subject to field verification. Now yer talkin'!

·
Registered
754 Posts
The Five Dollar reports will soon be available, but in large quantities and with you doing the measurements.

I saw different people who have outsourced the technology from India, that had systems like the well known one, reverse engineered for their own needs.

Two of the companies that I know of right now, are in litigation against some of the competitors listed, due to patent and trademark infringement issues.

We should hire an outsource for our own companies and only use it for ourselves.

Then, we could pre-measure entire neighborhoods, especially, the neighbors of a current job.

Ed

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So what's the point to this then if I still have to to an onsite evaluation? I mean it only takes what 15 minutes to measure, and another 10 to figure the math?

See my point?
If you valued your time at $2 per minute you would break even if the report was $50.

I guess I would have to experiment to see what difference it would make to have the measurements before hand.

I could use the measurements to start a rough estimate prior to doing the onsite evaluation. Maybe I could ask the prospect if they have a budget for the project to see if it’s close to my estimate that I have done before visiting the site.

If they are thinking $6000 and I know it’s closer to $10,000 then it would be a good idea to let them get quotes from someone else first. I don’t like being the first one in anyway. It’s much harder to close the deal if you are first in, especially when the price is thousands of dollars higher than what they are expecting.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ed if it were 1-2 dollars per report, I would buy whole neighborhoods and send out a mass mailing campaign. The original estimate would but just that, an estimate only, and subject to field verification. Now yer talkin'!
Now yer talking about making a commodity out of yourself, Are you prepared to be the low bidder?

·
Roofing Relapse
2,552 Posts
If you valued your time at $2 per minute you would break even if the report was $50.

I guess I would have to experiment to see what difference it would make to have the measurements before hand.

I could use the measurements to start a rough estimate prior to doing the onsite evaluation. Maybe I could ask the prospect if they have a budget for the project to see if it’s close to my estimate that I have done before visiting the site.

If they are thinking $6000 and I know it’s closer to $10,000 then it would be a good idea to let them get quotes from someone else first. I don’t like being the first one in anyway. It’s much harder to close the deal if you are first in, especially when the price is thousands of dollars higher than what they are expecting.
That there is what we call funny numbers. And for time spent, I am still getting a better return on investment doing it the old fashioned way. Too many unanswered questions.

It's always nice to measure twice and cut once. But that's why I send out the production manager or crew foreman to do a remeasure when the job has been sold. However this can count as your measuring twice.

Yes I am prepared to be the low bidder initially... just to get my foot in the door. What I mean is if I did buy some bulk arial measurments at $2 a piece, then apply the laws of averages and give a low cost per square with the caveat that it is an estimte only and subject to field verifications. This may entice the customer to contact me. At that time I could perform the REAL estimate based on real world values like layers and flashings, bushes etc...

It definetly would be an experiment worth trying. It's the same thing the window companies do advertising $100 per window then talking the customer into paying $700 per window. Called a "loss leader".

However I don't see any reason why the estimate would need to be low. Think about it for a second...

Why not give a real HIGH estimate as your initial offering then when you get to the house you know you have a qualified buyer... maybe even shave off a couple bucks because the first esimtate was just an estimate. Perhaps assume all jobs are 3 layers, then you are a hero when you are onlyc harging the customer for 2 layers, because they only have 2 layers, not 3... On the flip side, if they have 4 obviously charge them for the 4th, though that'd be rare (in a suburb, 4 layers are common in the city).

Sure your response rate with a higher estimate would be much lower than with a lowe estimate, but the buyer would be a very well qualified buyer... and if it's done on a MASS scale it could definetly be made to work. Like I said it's an experiment definetly worth trying when these aerial measurements get more realistic. Maybe a year or two more.

Try it both ways in two similiar yet different neighborhods and see what happens. I'm actually getting excited about the idea now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.