Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question - recently discovered a small leak on our rental property’s roof. The leak is below the gutter well where there has been ponding. It has a low pitched, commercial style roof. Currently has a torch down style with a white coating of flat roof type paint / sealant (unknown what product was used)…..we’d like to put a roll on style sealer over the existing sealant to buy us a few more years. What’s the best product to use? I’d also like to use an epoxy or something to reduce the ponding areas. Any recs on mitigating the ponding? 3rd question - any other words of wisdom for someone whose never done a job like this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question - recently discovered a small leak on our rental property’s roof. The leak is below the gutter well where there has been ponding. It has a low pitched, commercial style roof. Currently has a torch down style with a white coating of flat roof type paint / sealant (unknown what product was used)…..we’d like to put a roll on style sealer over the existing sealant to buy us a few more years. What’s the best product to use? I’d also like to use an epoxy or something to reduce the ponding areas. Any recs on mitigating the ponding? 3rd question - any other words of wisdom for someone whose never done a job like this?
You will want to make sure you know what type of coating is currently on the roof so you can install a new coating that is compatible. Depending on how big of an area is ponding water you could build up that area by 3 coursing (coating, fabric, coating). Most roof coating manufacturers will have a "seam seal" product which is thicker than the regular coating and that will be what you want to use to build up this area. The best tip I can give you is make sure you prep the roof before you install any new coating. The roof must be clean and dry or it will flake off or bubble up after a few months. Prep is the key.

Also, if the white coating that is currently on the roof was not added after the roof was installed and was manufactured that way, you may want to put down a bleed blocker so the asphalt does not migrate into the new coating causing brown coffee looking areas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts