Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a co - owner of a roofing company in Dallas Texas. I am trying to be more hands on and involved, but i am having trouble (Im a girl.. cut me some slack ;D ) I am trying to look over all the roofing codes for the City of Dallas, with no luck! Not able to find any useful information and i am trying to get some info on decking codes... asap. Please help!!Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Get a Copy of ICC (international Code Council) - IBC (International Building Code - Commercial) and IRC (international residential Code- Residential) and your golden. You can supplement thiese with local ammendments by county or city. If you work alot in a particular area, get to know the Official.

Or

Just ask your question here...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
those are things i am looking into, but again.. its the city codes i am having trouble finding. What my question is .... where can i find the decking requirement codes for city of Dallas? I have searched.. and called the city... getting no help at all.
But i appreciate the help and i will look into those as well... thank you.

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
That typically means there has been no ammendment and if you follow the 2006 IBC or IRC you will be fine.

If its a residence I start with the IRC under Roof sheathing which I know is 5/8" roof sheathing (SECTION R803). when I find what I am looking for, I then go look at that section in the City or County ammendments. It also tells you wear to look (section wise). Hope that helps.

Its not really this cut and dry either and I reccomend it be reviewed by someone familier with all codes to make sure it is installed correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for all your help, and i will look at all these, it is greatly appreciated. And I wont be making any final decisions on this... i am just trying to get all the codes down as well as take care of some of the paper work prep. Im more in the office than out in the field.
thanks again!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
this one is residential
1/2" 4ply CDX for 16"OC, 5/8" for 24"OC is typical, it really depends on the architect and design load. Sometimes 3/4" for tile or slate roofs but rarely for asphalt, if your trying to switch a asphalt to slate roof an engineer would have to design it. Best bet call an architect your friends with in Dallas..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts