Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Roofing Expert
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While taking off an old lead roof off a church for replacment i found a letter pinned to the decking from the oridginal lead plumbers dated and signed! underneath the letter was a 1/2 penny coin dated from the year 1911, they talk about drinking Sunday areated waters which we gather to be beer as there is a pub(bar)as old as the church just across the road!
Any way i thought i would share this with you.
Cheers
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well, I guess they didn't have it wrapped in a zip-loc baggie, considering the date.

I have often considered putting in a copy of the original contract and photos as a Time Capsule, for someone to find 50-60 years down the road.

I think it would generate a lot of press, but too bad I won't be around to reap the awards.

Ed

·
Roofing Expert
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We replaced a copy of the above letter, a new letter and a coin dated for the year and put it where we found it!
I was fasenated by the letter, ive tryed to trace the named people to no avail, they could have all gone to the first world war together as it is only a few years before it started! who knows.
I did this job for a sub contractor who didnt want to tell the general contractor who in turn didnt want to tell the church!, needless to say it never made the papers as yet!
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
754 Posts
That story and find are too historically valuable to not get some Press Attention drawn to it.

Someone who reads the newspaper article may even know or be related to the names listed in the letter.

Just imagine how much pride that would regenerate in their long lost relative. You absolutely should follow through, firstly with the Church, so that they could look up their old records of maintenance and then the local press.

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.