Roofing Talk - Professional Roofing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that offer CertainTeed products, do you offer warranty upgrades to every prospect?

I feel that the chart CT provides to show what the warranty includes is too confusing, so I made a bar graph in PowerPoint presentation to simplify it.

I feel that offering too many options confuses the buyer and then they want to “think it over”.

I’m not sure how many upgrades I should be offering.

CT has the standard warranty and 3 upgrades available.

What upgrades have you offered?

Do you feel that the 5 star which covers workmanship is something that people will want?

Some prospects bring it up because GAF contractors are pushing it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Another Detroit area roofer was asking pretty much the same questions just a couple of weeks ago on Contractor Talk.

Less Is More.

Keep the options simple.

IF.....They seem to need a nudge, pull out a more favorable option to them to try to move the deal farther forward.

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Standard or 5 Star

I decided to offer a Standard Warranty and one upgrade.

The upgrade is for the 5 Star which included workmanship, tear off & dumpster.

Do you feel that these 2 options are good enough?

Would offering the 4 Star create too much confusion?

The 4 Star does not include workmanship.

My thinking was that if the customer is willing to pay more for a warranty upgrade I might as well simplify it by offering the best one they can get.

How many customers would want an upgrade if it doesn’t include workmanship backed up by the manufacturer?

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
If I wasn't a roofer, those graphs might confuse me.

Offer you Good Better and Best initially, Period.

Secondly, after they choose one of those, after the 3-day period of Right Of Rescission has expired, you can then offer the New Program offerings which you just realized that they would qualify for.

Keep It Simple.

Ed

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Attempting to differentiate

Ed,

I’m trying to come up with a way to differentiate myself from the average contractor, that’s why I’m offering the warranty upgrade.

Some prospects have been asking me about it, probably because a lot of GAF contractors are pushing it.

I’ve been ignoring the issue up until now. This is one of the changes I am making for 2009. I want to see if offering a better warranty will help me close more sales.

The homeowner could install the roof themselves and get the standard warranty. Shouldn’t they be able to get something better if they are hiring a professional to do the job?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Shouldn’t they be able to get something better if they are hiring a professional to do the job?

Probably any place except Michigan now-a-days.

I agree whole-heartedly with differentiating yourself though.

I just think that the MI mentality is going to edge on the side of cautiousness with their finances, so that is why I said Keep It Simple, but THEN offer them the upgrade, at you theoretical reduced price, after you have bagged the job.

Ed

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
give it for free if you want to. As a Select Shingle Roofing Contractor I get something like 100 free points which ammounted to something like 50 free warrantys. Other than that it's only something like $100 per warranty, which can be easily marked into the cost of the job.

I don't really push this. What's my benefit? Like you said too many options confuses the customer. If I am going to push something, I'd prefer to push copper flashings or some premium shingles or gutters or something where I can make some money. But I don't push anything on anyone, I may drop hints but never push.

I definetly wouldn't be offering all three if I were offering any... maybe only the best one. I wouldn't even discuss the others.

·
Roofing Relapse
2,556 Posts
Define the "lifetime workmanship".

Sounds like a broad blanket statement and then a crap load of exclusions. I don't play those games. I am straight forward with my customers and explain the 3 different warranties upfront.

"There are manufacturers warrantys which cover product from failure. There are roofers guarantees which guarantee the workmanship and that the roof won't leak. Then there are manufacturers labor guarantees.

Be very careful when someone is offering you a manufacturer labor guarantee, as they are usually leading you on to believe that the manufacturer is going to warrant the roof against leaks. THEY DO NOT. No shingle manufacuter, that I know of, will warrant their product against leaks even when using their best certified contractors.

The most important guarantee is probably the one the roofer offers. Ask about exclusions, ask about transferrability. Some roofers will void their guarantee on sale of the building.

Here is what I can guarantee, Your roof will leak! ...eventually. The ONLY difference between a good roofer and a bad roofer is how long it takes before the roof does leak. If you let me do the roof my way, I can guarantee that the roof won't leak for 10 years, which is probably twice what you are going to get from most other contractors. I don't play any games, if you choose to sell my guarantee is fully transferrable for no cost."

When they come back at me and say "Well xyz said they'd guarantee it for 20 years, or lifetime." I am happy. Mr Customer do you really think this roof won't have any single problems for the next 20 or 30 years? Do you think you'll be here in 20 years? Did you ask what happens if you choose to sell? How long has that company been in business? Why do you think that most companies offer 5 years, but this company can get away with offering a 20 year, doesn't that sound odd?

Again I don't play games with my customers.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Define the "lifetime workmanship".

Sounds like a broad blanket statement and then a crap load of exclusions. I don't play those games. I am straight forward with my customers and explain the 3 different warranties upfront.

"There are manufacturers warrantys which cover product from failure. There are roofers guarantees which guarantee the workmanship and that the roof won't leak. Then there are manufacturers labor guarantees.

Be very careful when someone is offering you a manufacturer labor guarantee, as they are usually leading you on to believe that the manufacturer is going to warrant the roof against leaks. THEY DO NOT. No shingle manufacuter, that I know of, will warrant their product against leaks even when using their best certified contractors.

The most important guarantee is probably the one the roofer offers. Ask about exclusions, ask about transferrability. Some roofers will void their guarantee on sale of the building.

Here is what I can guarantee, Your roof will leak! ...eventually. The ONLY difference between a good roofer and a bad roofer is how long it takes before the roof does leak. If you let me do the roof my way, I can guarantee that the roof won't leak for 10 years, which is probably twice what you are going to get from most other contractors. I don't play any games, if you choose to sell my guarantee is fully transferrable for no cost."

When they come back at me and say "Well xyz said they'd guarantee it for 20 years, or lifetime." I am happy. Mr Customer do you really think this roof won't have any single problems for the next 20 or 30 years? Do you think you'll be here in 20 years? Did you ask what happens if you choose to sell? How long has that company been in business? Why do you think that most companies offer 5 years, but this company can get away with offering a 20 year, doesn't that sound odd?

Again I don't play games with my customers.
I don’t see anything about a lifetime workmanship warranty in this post. You’re a Select Shingle Roofer you should know what the warranty covers.

5 Star covers workmanship for 20 years backed up by CT. It includes dumpster and Tear off labor. That would include leakage caused by poor workmanship.

Even the standard material warranties would apply if a roof leaked due to a manufacturing defect. IF a shingle cracked all the way through that shingle would leak.

·
Registered
755 Posts
As a Select Shingle Roofing Contractor
A lifetime Warranty on material and workmanship will set you apart.....:thumbup:
I don’t see anything about a lifetime workmanship warranty in this post. You’re a Select Shingle Roofer you should know what the warranty covers.

5 Star covers workmanship for 20 years backed up by CT. It includes dumpster and Tear off labor. That would include leakage caused by poor workmanship.

Even the standard material warranties would apply if a roof leaked due to a manufacturing defect. IF a shingle cracked all the way through that shingle would leak.
This is what Grumpy was responding to.

Plus, the shinles themselves Do State, Lifetime Warranty, but they do not boldly state that is is really 50 year pro-rated and then I think 2% coverage after 50 years.

Cripes, who the heck is going to save records that long.

Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts